Why is Obama's salvation questioned and not the salvation of other past presidents?

This is a topic really disturbing me. Obama has stated several times that he is a Christian, yet I continue to hear people saying they pray that God "saves" him. Other presidents have "said" they are Christian and we take it at face value whether they demonstrate Christlike character or not. Nor whether they are pro-life or pro-choice. We have had Dem and Rep presidents who claimed to be Christian and no one ever questioned it. Why Obama? Why do others assume they know where he stands as far as his relationship with Christ?

luvnunity

Asked by luvnunity at 1:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Honestly, I don't think it is Obama. It is the time we live in. He just happened to be there at the right (wrong) time. It was easy to fuel an already hyped up public with the pro-life and terrorism issues. ...

Bush started it with his "family values" campaign in 2000. It became popular to campaign from the pulpit and anyone who didn't CLAIM a right wing, republican, pro-life stance was labeled as evil by the churches - as a way to frighten people into voting a certain way. Politics and church were feeding off of each other. The flames were fueled and never went out - entirely. It worked so well they kept it up. I think this way of campaigning is on its way out. People have seen through it.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 2:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• .....hopefully
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 2:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I hope so too FlyMom07. I'm not surpised to see politicians use whatever platform they can get to campaign, but I am surprised to see how many Church's have succomed to this. I was watching tv Sunday morning getting ready for church and one of the programs that usually has a preacher speaking was talking about politics and what issues they were going to try and force the "President Elect's" hand on. I'm thinking, this is your time to be spreading the Gospel and you're using it to talk about the same things that are on every news station. Why watch you when I could just watch the news?
    luvnunity

Answer by luvnunity at 2:16 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Because his name is Barack Hussein Obama and his father was a Muslim. And there are actually people insane enough to believe he's the anti-christ lol.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 2:16 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• slinkee- my dad is a Catholic but I'm not. that's not a valid argument IMO
    Anonymous

• Slinkee, I know. But Christians ought to know that our pasts do not determine our present or our futures. My mother is a Jehovah's Witness, but I am a born-again Christian. What my mother believes has nothing to do what I believe as I have made a decision as an adult concerning my own salvation. Heck, there are even former Muslims living in places like Iraq who are now Christians being persecuted. So are they any less Christian because of their past. The Muslim Iraqis sure don't think so.
    luvnunity

Answer by luvnunity at 2:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• LMAO, I didn't say I was questioning the man's faith, I have plenty of other reasons to dislike him other than what gods he prays too. Maybe I misread the question, but I was under the impression they were asking why people, in general, were questioning his faith while past presidents have not been questioned?
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 2:28 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• OIC :) not your opinion of him then :) LOL :) sometimes reading things makes it difficult since we can't judge on facial features and stuff. :) I understand what you meant now
    Anonymous

• Slinkee, you read the question right and I got your sarcasm. I was arguing your response for others who may actually feel that way.
    luvnunity

Answer by luvnunity at 2:31 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My grandfather was a Church of God Preacher, I'm an atheist. I think that is a rediculous reason to judge people. But I think there are people who aren't intelligent enough to find a true reason to dislike him other than personal biases and they know that religion is a world-wide hot-button that is going to incite hatred in others. Unfortunately, the amount of people who aren't smart enough to figure out what is propaganda and what is not far outnumbers the people who CAN think for themselves.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 2:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2008