Baby Poo question. (This is gross and filled with details.) adult content

Last week, the kid had a stuck pooh. I had to assist the passing of it with a qtip and some Vaseline.

the next day, she pooped five times, and has gone once a day ever since, till yesterday, when she went twice, and it was light tan with white chunks in it. Looked kind of like undigested noodles, which we had homemade noodles the day before, and I thought maybe she hadn't chewed very well, she's 18 months old.

She threw up twice this morning. Breast milk. She threw up breast milk.

Should I take her to the doctor? Normally I would wait 24 hours to see if she gets over it, but the combination of the light poop with the vomiting and the rock poop butt birth last week makes me wonder if she's got an obstruction of some kind.

Thanks for any and all input, and sorry for the detailed discussion of my baby's feces.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 1:33 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Wait 24 hours. It sound like what my son was going through and it turns out he had a stomach bug and the doctors didnt do anything for him. Just keep her on lots of liquids and make her eat lite
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I'd definitely up the liquid and keep an eye on it. Calling the doc won't hurt.

And hey. I'm of the "there's no such thing as TMI" philosophy.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I would call the doctor now. From what I've read in other poop questions, if she had an obstruction, she would either not be pooping at all, or passing small amounts of liquid poop; and also lighter colored poop can be a signal of liver or pancreas (can't remember which) problems. The whole combo would scare me, especially after DH's uncle & cousin (not the same immediate family, not blood related at all) having major bowel issues ending up in surgery for the cousin and multiple surgeries & hospitalizations for uncle.
    Anonymous

• did she happen to have a rotovirus vaccine in the last week or two? Other than that, light poops usually mean liver involvement and often means she's fighting a virus. It could be a parasite like giardia, since she's at an age in which she probably mouths a lot of stuff. I would call the doc and see if they want a stool sample. I would want to rule out something treatable since she can get dehydrated quickly at her age. GL!
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 8:12 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Call you doctor just to get their opinion. But our pediatrician said that if the poo is still earth toned (light tan with chunks counts) it is fine. My son had a tummy bug that lasted about 1.5 days and then had almost 2 weeks of varying pale poo as his tummy got back to normal.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:15 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• bump
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 6:22 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• what happened with this?
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 3:26 PM on May. 9, 2011