trying to loose weight

Okay, So I'm a mom of 2 a 4yr old and a 2yr old, And we r on food-stamps and WIC and it is hard to keep food in the house already, So how would one eat right and still have food in the house for the kids.??? We only receive $171 a month for a family of 4! yeah not enough.

britt_howard

Asked by britt_howard at 1:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Start with simple changes (one per week).
    Make water your primary (or sole) beverage.
    Walk or do other exercise, at least 20 minutes a day, at least three times a week
    Eat your fruits and vegetables: 7-8 servings a day, in at least three different colors
    Cut way back on meat and dairy
    Eat an apple or a big pile of veggies before meals.
    Replace all of your white/simple grains with whole grains; eat 5 servings a day
    Have legumes 1-2 times a day

Answer by rkoloms at 10:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I don't know if it's the same everywhere, but dollar stores! maybe it's because I live in an area that still has a lot of agriculture, but my local dollar stores have TONS of fresh in-season produce for anywhere from 1/2 to 1/5 the price of the grocery store. For example, I can get a 3lb bag of red potatoes for $1 there and they're $3.59 across the street at Ralph's. Do you have farmer's markets there? The ones here in CA take WIC vouchers and I think they even accept food stamps.

Skip as many processed foods as possible. Not only do they cost more, but the further you get from whole foods, the less nutritious they tend to be. Dry beans, dry rice, etc are DIRT CHEAP compared to boxed/canned stuff.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:48 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Just try to not put anything in your cabinets that will expire in more than 2-3weeks. That will help you keep fresh foods. And I only say 2-3weeks because some dairy lasts 3weeks. One thing we are trying, although we already eat healthy, we are now trying to save more money, is when you buy meat put portion it into little containers and zip lock bags, never more than a pound in one bag. It'll help you with portion control and it'll be enough for your family. Also try all veggie meals a few times a week. Good Luck.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• You can make a lot of things by scratch. Shop at discount grocery stores like Aldi's! When you do shop traditional grocery stores shop wisely and use coupons. For instance, Peter Pan peanut butter, there was a coupon for $1 off 2, my local store has them on sale for 2 for $3 this week, so I can get 2 jars for $2....I sometimes buy two papers and have two of every coupon. Print coupons are well. And look on youtube.com for videos on saving hundreds with coupons. Even the recent TLC show called "Extreme Couponing" can be helpful for showing ways to save big bucks on groceries.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Yeah that's one thing I'm unsure of here in Ga is if the dollar stores sale fresh fruit. But thank u so much that is very good advise.
    britt_howard

Comment by britt_howard (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Thank u! Yeah i found a new way to make our chicken breast last longer, I can get like 2-4 thin pieces from one breast so that helps a lot. and we started getting the manager specials also depending on what it is, if it is something we can freeze right away.
    britt_howard

Comment by britt_howard (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2011