No Seat Belts

New device that when installed disables the start button if SBs are not in use. Also sounds an alarm if SB is unfastened when car is in motion.

Would you use this for a teen driver? Thoughts?

Posted in parenting section too

Sisteract

Asked by Sisteract at 1:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it is a great idea, if you were to do some research on their safety, you would like them too! Seat belts saves lives period, and everyone should use them!

Answer by older at 3:02 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• If i thought my teen was too irresponsible to put on thier seatbelt they wouldn't be driving a car.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:30 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Sounds like a bad idea that initially seems benign. There are plenty of reasons you may want a car running without the seatbelts - like say stuck in a snowstorm and needing heat, or stuck somewhere and trying to push it out, or to run a compressor off the lighter/jack to reinflate a tire. (nevermind the creepy stalker movie idea of someone chasing you through a parking lot and trying to get away)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• No.
    Anonymous

• My FIL has that in his car... I think the only thing that sucks about it is, lets say you have a bunch of books and you put them in the passenger seat it beeps and beeps and beeps until the seat belt is fastened even though no one is sitting there. (That would be annoying, but I would put it in my kids cars for sure.)

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Not sure it's a good idea based on the functionality being deliberate and not forgiving. (look at the above post's analogy) Seat belts are in most cases a life saver, but my cousin and his friend are alive today because the were NOT wearing seat belts in their accident. This was about 10 years ago.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 2:02 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Wonderful idea, but think it should be up to the driver.
    Everyone should wear a seat belt, it is not like back in the day, not as many cars on the road.... Now, everyone, anyone is driving.....

You must be careful.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Its another way of government control, I agree seat belts are important but like notpanicking said there are reasons to have the car running and not need seat belts in place.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I think the whole thing is ridiculous. It's almost like the government is telling us we are so stupid we have to have every aspect of our lives managed for us. I have serious problems with the government acting like big brother, this is way too much power and invasive.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• i can see the benefits, but i plan on teaching my kids the importance of seat belts to where they will call out others for not wearing them. if i cant trust my kid to wear their seat belt then i cant trust them to drive a car.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2011