is she just being a turd or really having trouble hearing?

ok, my daughter has had all test needed for kindergarten. we just found out through allergy testing that she has allergies. lately she has had a touch of a cold and she has been turning the tv up loud saying she cant hear it and just totally ignoring me when i talk to her. she says she cant hear my voice. (im loud, so that is a little hard to beleive). Im wondering if she needs to go to the doctor, thinking maybe she has fluid on her ears or something. she does complain of ear pain from time to time. My sister seems to think she needs to go in but i dont know if shes just being bratty. what do u ladies think?

VDietrich

Asked by VDietrich at 2:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• i taught second grade for 4 years and one of my students was just like that - his mom and i thought he would just listen to what he wanted... because sometimes you KNEW he heard you --- well turned out that he had fluid in only one ear and to him it sounded like listening through water if you were talking on that side of him... go get it checked - then you know for sure you arent neglecting anything... he did way better in school after he could hear - my son also tried to play me - when i was trying to teach him letters and stuff he told me that he couldnt see it right... had my son's eyes checked and he can see fine so i dont accept that excuse anymore from him.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• One thing to do is to get behind her and rustle something she can't see and see if she reacts to it. She cannot see you doing this. If she reacts, she just being stubborn. If she doesn't, she may have an actual issue.
    Anonymous

• Well, I don't know how old she is but I would take her just to be safe. Rather be safe than sorry. Untreated ear infections can lead to deafness. I know this for a fact because my 3 year old was almost deaf before her tubes.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:14 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• if you ever doubt yourself its ok to look for outside help and a hearing test will not hurt anyone and you will be at ease, good luck!! Also I had a ton of ear infections growing up and i know they plugged my ears up, just cover all your bases so you dont have to play a guessing game and worry over something that may or may not be a problem or can be fixed so she can hear you better
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 2:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I think you should take her in. Doesn't hurt to be safe.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 2:07 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I'd have her tested: better have her tested and find nothing, than not have her tested and then she struggle in school.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:07 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• deffinately take her. My nephew had tubes put in his ears. And needless to say the one is being taken out this Friday, he has almost complete hearing loss in that ear and it hurts a lot. He is only 5. Don't second guess it, and tell the doctor everything.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:07 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Go to the Dr. and find out. You will know whether you have a medical issue or a behavioral one. Hearing difficulty is not something I would ignore.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• It is probably a combination of both. She probably does have some hearing issues if her ears are clogged, I know I always do. But she is likely milking it too. Get her ears checked and then you will know how much is actually because of her ears and how much is do to being a little weasel.

My oldest child's preschool wanted him checked for a hearing problem because it seemed he couldn't hear the women when they spoke to him, but always listened to the male teachers. No hearing problem... just that darn selective hearing so many men are afflicted with. :p
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:09 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I think it doesn't hurt to take her in and have her checked out. While kids will tune their parents out and ignore them, she may also be having a problem. I know when my DD was in preschool she didn't pass her hearing test that was given at the preschool We had to take her to a Dr and after doing a full test they found nothing wrong.

Now that she is older she does ignore me sometimes, although if she is always ignoring you then there might be a problem.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 2:12 PM on Jan. 4, 2011