What is the easiest way to potty train a 3 year old boy?

I'm having trouble, I just can't get him to even sit on the potty. I don't know if I'm not trying hard enough or not. How should I start, go right to it or wait until he has interest in going. He has watched his daddy and there are some times that he will hold himself like he is peeing. Ideas would help. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Buy him a lot of character undies. Tell him "Tomorrow you will wear big boy underpants!!" Take 3 days to stay home and concentrate on potty training. Put him in underwear in the morning. Be very positive about it. Take him every 1/2 hour in the beginning. He'll have some accidents, don't get upset, just change him and keep going. By the end of the first day he'll get the hang of it. Day 2 will be much better. Day 3 he will be trained. Never go back to diapers except at night, that comes later. You can reward with m&ms if you want. Good luck. This really works!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I would have him watch daddy all the time, put a few cheerios in the potty so he can aim, and pray. lolol, each child is diffrent...

Good luck...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• so here is what me and my husband did. we told him if he wanted to be a big boy like his friend at day care he had to go potty and poppy in the toilet. i eventually put him in underpants and it took him literally a week of underpants and he is now trained! and loves going.. expecially uses it as the water hose!! lol

But um.. try putting a ceral and telling him to pee on it to see if he can get his target!
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 2:21 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I let my boys pick out their under-roos and told them that Bat-Man/ Spider-Man would be sad if he went pee pee on him. I also put Cheerios and the them aim at them and rewarded with small rewards stickers, half a popsicle, a couple M&Ms etc. Good luck.
    SueAnd2

Answer by SueAnd2 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I will take all the answers and use them as best I can. Thank you all. The diaper thing is a problem because I have another one 18 months in the same size.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2011