How can I get my 4 1/2 yr old to stop.....

with his terrible potty mouth & mean words? I don't really know where he heard this stuff. He goes to daycare & preschool so it could have been from either one. Some of it he has heard/learned from my soon-to-be ex-husband who is still living with us. He says all of this stuff while giggling hysterically, he thinks it's all hilarious. For instance, "stinky butt", "smack in my face", "hit myself in the head", "bla bla bla". I can't think of all of them right now. He can associate pretty much anything with a "smack in the face", I don't know why this is so funny but it's irritating. Then when he gets in trouble, a switch goes off. He has a raging anger that is hard to get back under control. He doesn't exactly destroy anything or hurt anyone in his rage but it's his mouth. "I hate you, i hate you, i hate you..." over and over. SCREAMING at the top of his lungs. He runs away from me every time he gets in trouble which ticks me off way more cuz he'll either run around our house (the bottom floor goes in a circle) or hides under our big bed upstairs & I can't get him out. He balls up his fists & tenses up all his muscles & screams. When he does this stuff, it's like one thing after another. He will get punished & then he screams stuff at me and gets punished for that, then he runs away & gets in even more trouble. I mean, I don't know how to control it!! It quickly gets out of control & it's usually over something so stupid. Anyone have any idea of how to reason with this kid? And how to stop the potty mouth??

Edited to add- He also wants to associate guns & shooting & killing with everything he plays with. We built a lego house today & his cowboy lego man had to keep beating down the door because "he's gonna kill them". He doesn't say it in a creepy way, just like it's funny. I don't know if this is normal or not....

luvr4ula

Asked by luvr4ula at 2:22 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He sounds similar to my son (5). My son loves guns and will make anything a shooting game. He has never had a real toy gun, but that doesn't matter. He has one he made from Legos, and for others he uses Chip Clips as guns. He is very mild mannered and adorable, but also has a potty mouth. A lot of what you describe is just being a boy. Your son might have anger issues, but a lot of what you say is normal behavior. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I recommend finding a family therapist and trying to spend more time with him. If he's spending more time with other kids each day than with you, then they are going to be the ones with the largest influence on his behavior, not you. A therapist should be able to help you pinpoint his anger issues and ressolve them peacefully.
    LadySenae

Answer by LadySenae at 5:20 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Boys will act that way. I would not encourage it but it's in their nature to be more aggressive.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 9:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Lots of cartoons arent even meant for kids anymore. They have violence, innuendos, and just plain nasty stuff. Does anyone notice that spongebob is rated Y7? Its not meant for preschoolers. My son was watching cartoon network and started saying inappropriate things. They start "adult cartoons" at 8pm now. When I was little, that kind of stuff was on at 10pm, when kids were in bed. I hate how much the kids learn from watching tv and toys.
    Collegemommy910

Answer by Collegemommy910 at 9:06 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• You are very right, Collegemommy910!! My "husband" lets him watch basically whatever he wants as long as it's a "kid" show. Spongebob, Avatar, Fanboy & chum chum. I don't like those shows! He pretty much just watches PBS when he's here with me, occasionally iCarly, haha!

Thank you for all of your responses, it makes me feel better that he's not crazy. Sometimes I feel like he's turning into a horrible lil monster but I guess it's really not all that bad. Just really hard to deal with some days :)
    luvr4ula

Comment by luvr4ula (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2011