I am so sick of people and their racial comments(venting)

I was out shopping today day with my dd when I seen a church member. She hurried over saying she wanted to see dd (never saw her before). She was going on about how cute she was and asked me when did I have her. We were basically making small talk until she asked me "What did you name her?" I told her Morgen. She then turned her nose up at me ans said "What you trying to do act white?" "Why did you go and name her a white girl name?" People are getting on my damn nerves with this racist crap. She is not the only one who said this to me about dd name. Why the hell can't a little black girl have a name like Morgen? One lady asked me "What you think you better than everyone else, you trying to be white?" I am so sick and tired of people and their ignorance.

nicjon

Asked by nicjon at 2:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• My response: "What are you trying to be, stupid?"

And: "I certainly think I'm better than YOU, at any rate."

It's a pretty name. Welsh. Means "Born of the sea."

Answer by gdiamante at 2:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• So sorry you had to deal with ignorant people. That's hurtful, especially when you take the time to carefully consider your child's name and it may hold special meaning to you. Wish you could have a witty reply for that, but I'm not exactly quick on my feet in those situations to think of one.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 2:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I would have told her to F off.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Just ignore them. I think it's a pretty name.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• What the hell??? How tacky and rude for anyone to say such a thing!! I know PLENTY of girls of all colors named Morgan/Morgen (ect) and I think it really is a pretty name. Next time someone does that i'd say something like "Well I was going to name her Bonshiqua, but changed my mind at the last minute :)"
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Oh my GOD! What, they think all little black girls have to be named Shaniqua? Morgen is a beautiful name, and skin color has nothing to do with why we pick names! Trying to act white? By giving your child a beautiful name?!

This is why my daughter's name is Esperanza. I love that name, but we're white and people are stupid.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Fabulous name! My ex and I argued about what to name our daughter. He told me that all my suggestions were "too white" and no daughter of his would have a name like that. So, the name stuff is bullsh-- but it unfortunately happens.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• It's a fine name. Some people are ignorant. If someone says it again, just say, if I have another child, I'll check with you before I decide what to name her, smile, and walk away.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:42 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Sorry Sweetie...
    People are so insensitive sometimes.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• WTF OP? that's so messed up they said that to you! thats the most ridiculous thing I've heard. If someone said that to me ooooh they'd get a piece of my mind and I'm usually the shy type. But something like that they'd wish they never came up to us.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2011