Confusion and the pregnancy test. Not trying, but...

I took a test this morning (1/4). If we are pregnant it is from 12/24. My friend who has had fertility struggles for years called just as I put the pee on it and said she wanted to drop by and was just up the street.. I ran it upstairs. When I got back to it, there was a faint, sort of diagonal line, light pink was plainly visible. It was after 10 minutes, though. I retested- didn't wait too long- absolutely negative. Any thoughts?

Hazelnutkin

Asked by Hazelnutkin at 2:42 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• According to peeonastick.com an evaporation line is usually not the same color as the dye...they are generally gray or look almost like a shadow on the test. Also, tests, even in the same batch and brand...can vary widely on sensitivity. So the first very well could have still be positive and the second negative if they were even slightly different. I took two tests from the same box and one was positive and one was negative.

However, since you DID wait beyond the ten minutes, there is no way to know 100% if the first is a true positive. Wait until tomorrow or the next day's first morning urine and test again to be sure. If she didn't stay very long (the friend) and you peed on the second one within just an hour or two, your hormones may not have been concentrated enough yet to turn the second test.

GL
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:58 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• after 10 mins it was probably the evaporation line... try again in 2 days :)
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 2:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I can't tell what test you were using but all follow the rule that there rarely is a false positive and often a false negative. I hope this helps.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 2:44 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I would try again in a couple days to be sure, but likely the first one was an evaporation line.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:44 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• It was a dollar store test. The two lines variety that you use the little dropper to put in the urine. I've used them a lot. Never had any unclear answers. Ugh. Thanks, Ladies.
    Hazelnutkin

Comment by Hazelnutkin (original poster) at 2:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• For not trying you are testing early! :D really though I would think evap as well. If you can't wait the two days go ahead and give in a shot tom. AM.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• After 10 minutes any non digital test is no longer accurate. Retest in a couple days and check it at the appropriate time.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• test again in 2 days
    Shulanancy

Answer by Shulanancy at 2:58 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I would wait two days and try again with FMU.

You absolutely CAN NOT rely on the results of a test after the 10 minute mark.
    Anonymous

• Thanks. I read that, too, about the color not being an evaporation line. Took another one this morning- negative. I'll just wait and see if AF shows on Saturday. I'm testing so soon because I know we did it right on time and we are very fertile.
    Hazelnutkin

Comment by Hazelnutkin (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Jan. 5, 2011