Why do people have a negative opinion 'bout online dating?

I believe it can work.
I met my husband online and know of many single or now married people that have tried it.
We emailed for 3month's before our first date and married 3 years after.
i also before him had some bad experiences also but i didn't meet any drunks like you would meet in a bar looking for a one night stand!

I went into it to date not to find love. I had a bad marriage and bad relationship after that and thought i would do something different. I would always me in public place and tell my friends where i'm going and who i'm meeting. I also didn't do this until we talked  for weeks just so i could catch him in a lie or see if his story stayed the same.

People are crazy and you can still be cautious with the internet. I believe you can do a few background checks with the info they do give you. Anyway i highly recommend it.

1happyeverafter

Asked by 1happyeverafter at 2:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• You can meet that type of guy in person too. My ex husband was manipulative, controlling, abusive, and I met him online through friends. You can meet sickos anywhere. A person should be cautious when meeting someone new regardless of how they met, it's common sense.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 2:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• The only thing I fear is that you don't know if you are getting the "real deal". People can make up anything. (but I can see people being more honest as well.. but you don't know which way it's going to go)
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• If it worked out for you then I am very happy for you. My bestfriend (a guy) has used online dating for his last 3 relatioships and all of them have been psychos!
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 3:21 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Is there any other kind of dating? Lol
    Inloveagain

Answer by Inloveagain at 4:21 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I don't know. Certain things have stigmas attached. I met my SO online as well. I'd rather meet someone online than at a bar. I guess it comes down to personal preferences.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 2:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I'm not sure.. I met my SO online.. we've been dating for a year (come Jan. 16th) and we're gonna be getting married soon, and I'm probably pregnant (not that we were trying lol)
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I met someone online many years ago, we chatted here and there, years later we met in person instantly fell in love and dated long distance (he went off to college), eventually we moved in together and got engaged later on. It was like a romantic comedy. But things got bad fast. He became manipulative, controlling and abusive. We called it quits after years of my denial that things will change. I lost my individuality but it soon regained years later. Not everyone you meet online is who they say they are! Hear of the craigslist killer? Sickos like that guy are out there. I think online dating is ok, but I would never allow my children to do that.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I meant to write "ok for some". I cant say i'm against it, I mean thats how I met my ex fiance. But I would never do it again
    Owl_Feather

• Simple, because THEY don't want to do it. People who have done it or people who are doing it, don't have those attitudes. It's only those that think they are "better" than that which have those attitudes.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Maybe becasue there are a lot of crazy people on the net but you just have to be smart about it.

I've been in 4 serious relationships 3 of which I met on the net and married one of those 3.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2011