4 month old won't sleep...hmmmmm????

My 4 month old son will not take but two 40 min naps a day...one at 10am and one around 2pm I put him down everyday at these times so that he knows that this is the schedule and it's nap time! BUT he won't sleep more than 40 min. I worry because he needs rest. He sleeps fairly well through the night though...from about 8:30pm to about 6:30-7:30am...sometimes he wakes up around 3-4am for a feeding. Is this a good trade off, or should he still be sleeping more during the day? If so, any suggestions?!

PANZONSMOM

Asked by PANZONSMOM at 3:21 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's a good trade-off. Some kids are not good nappers.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:22 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• babies know when they need to sleep...I wouldn't worry about a schedule at 4 months...they're still figuring out day and night most of the time. It sounds like he's got that figured out but that is a good stretch at night for sure. Just let him sleep whenever he wants, but don't force it or get stressed out if he doesn't. They know better than us a lot of the time :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I believe 4 months olds need around 14 hours of sleep, so as long as your child gets enough sleep I wouldn't worry about it. Is he tired at the times your put him down for a nap?
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 3:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Yes! Sometimes I see that he is so tired but he fights his sleep, even if I put him in his crib and set a cozy mood for him.
    PANZONSMOM

Comment by PANZONSMOM (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• my 2 month old is just like that!
    ErinT

Answer by ErinT at 3:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My son was a terrible Napper.. only 20 minute naps AND a horrible sleeper ( still wakes up 2-3 times at 3 years old ) I say you are lucky!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Maybe try bumping up nap time a little earlier if you see he is tired by the time you put him down, say 9:30 instead of 10:00 and see what happens. He may be slightly over tired by the time he goes down and then can't get to sleep or can't stay asleep as easily. Once he becomes more active, too, you may see nap time lengthen as he begins to crawl and move around more on his own. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:30 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• The average sleep for a baby at 4 mos is around 6 hrs, so it sounds like the baby is right on the track he needs to be with the naps. Then a good nights sleep like your getting from him you seem to be on track there too. You'll know when he not getting enough sleep, he'll most likely be quite cranky. Good job so far !!
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• oops 12 hrs total hrs at night and the naps is about the normal time. Not the 6 *****
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2011