How high should my two year old be able to count?

My daughter is 27 months old. She will repeat pretty much any number or word you can name off, but when it comes to counting on her own, she only gets to 3. For some reason she always gets stuck on 4. She just never remembers it and I'm not sure why. We count with her all the time. She can say the word "four" perfectly, she just never remembers that it comes after 3. Is it normal for a 27 month old to not be able to count past 3?

FluffyMamaBunny

Asked by FluffyMamaBunny at 3:32 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Our dd can count to 10, not bragging..it actually leads into this: she will start off counting and count reallyuntil she hits 9, she can't remember 10, and she has a hard time remembering 6...so her counting sounds like "3,4,5,7,8,9,3!! YAY!!!!" lol

Sounds perfectly normal to me, I wouldntbe too concerned about it.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 10:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My son is also 27 months and can count to 10. Sometimes I have to assist him, but he is able to do it independently. All kids learn at different rates, so just keep working with her.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 4:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• This sounds perfectly normal to me. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 3:33 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• sounds normal to me as well, but if you really want to start teaching her numbers and letters I would get he the wooden puzzles... they are so nice to have, my daughter loves them (even though she doesn't need them anymore). There is also fridge phonics from leap frog that sings the abc's and has individual letters to put in it... really nice toy
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 3:37 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• That sounds fine... I was thinking maybe 5 and 10 was really pushing it.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Kids develop at different rates. My daughter is 29 months and counts to 14 in English and Spanish and knows her ABCs. I would say 4 months ago, she barely counted past 3. In 3 months, your child will probably be blowing your mind.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2011