how do you do it when you're sick as a dog?

i had no choice today but to make the tv my babysitter. i felt bad but i couldn't even get off the couch! i had a sore, swollen throat yesterday and when i went to bed i started coming down with a fever and shivering like crazy. i barely slept last night, constantly waking up too hot or too cold and could barely swallow. this morning, i had to have my mom take my oldest to school. then i had to have my grandma pick her up! i felt too "delirious" to drive with my fever of 103. for someone who's temps usually range in the 97, that is high! my mom took me to the doctor with my other 2 kids, and went shopping with them while i was at the doctor. turns out i have strep throat. she gave me lidocaine for the pain but it did absolutely nothing. now finally, finally the fever has broken after having it since 9pm last night. i can attempt to swallow food now, before it was so swollen the food would get stuck. i have an appetite now too. but really, what other choice did i have but to put the tv on for my kids? im still not feeling great but atleast the fever is gone!

how do you do it?? btw i have 3 kids under age 5. my husband had to work all day and wont be home til 7:30.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• You do what you have to. (like you have been doing).
    Moms aren't really allowed sick days. Do the bare min to get by until you can get back to normal.
    Hugs...
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I did the same thing you did...the TV was my friend if I was sick! No shame in that--your kids will not be permanently stunted because they watched too much TV for a couple of days when you weren't well.
    Hope you feel better really soon!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• If I am super duper sick, DH takes a sick day so I can stay in bed. Otherwise, its alot of tv and the house gets destroyed.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• When I was sick when dd was 3 weeks old I tried to keep doing everything as I normally would and wound up passing out in the shower, not fun! So do what you can and don't worry about the rest, your kiddos will be fine with a day or two of tv filled fun. Take care of yourself so that you can better take care of them.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Well, I rarely get sick, but a few months ago, I got really sick. I couldn't even move or open my eyes. Dh had to come home from work to take care of my daughter...I couldn't function. You did what you had to do...no need to feel bad..as I think you were physically feeling bad enough!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• "You mommy up and deal with it. "

Wow. Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning?

I remember I got really sick back in November. My son got some kind of stomach bug, then he passed it to my husband, and he passed it to me. I had to take care of both of them while they were sick, but I would have been on my own if I hadn't been able to get my dad to drive my mom the 40 miles to my house so she could help me out.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 4:22 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I have no problem with my kids watching TV so there's never an issue. I don't consider it "babysitting". They are just enjoying the TV (my 4yo is watching Spongebob in the other room as I speak). My only problem when they were little was getting them food when I was too weak to stand, let alone cook. Now they are older and any time I'm sick it's "fend for yourself day". My kids actually like that because they can have PB&J for dinner. Or whatever other leftovers they can find in the fridge. When they were babies (I had 4 that were 6 and under at one point and now have 5) I would just do a pot of mac and cheese when I was sick. Something easy. Or order a pizza if I was able to talk.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• If I am really bad DH stays home and cares for the kids. Sometimes you just CAN'T, which is why having the other parent helps. Other times I just make it a lazy day. I make sure my kids are fed, and usually have the TV on, and make sure they have stuff to entertain them, while I relax on the couch.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• You do it one moment at a time. Do you have a support group? Family or friends or a Church group, who'd come help? If not, maybe once you get well. You can start one with the ppl you know that have children. If you don't know any, when you get better, get involved with a group in your area for mommies. Not knowing where you live I can't help you much other than you may find something in the Yellow Pages or the Newspaper or you can put an ad asking if anyone knows about a mommies group you and your children can be involved in? I pray you have a quick recovery and able to get some of your strength back. Plz don't get upset with yourself for getting sick. We are human and stuff will happen. Go with the flow. It will all work out... You're doing wonderful & sound like a wonderful compassionate mommy! Hope this helps
    WalknWithGod

Answer by WalknWithGod at 2:54 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Nobody pissed in my Cheerios. It was a joke. Lack of humor shows in the down votes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Jan. 5, 2011