Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Tax question......please help

We forgot to file two 1099's on our tax return in 2009. We took it to our tazx preparer last year and he told us we had 3 years to file it and he suggest we wait until the next year. So we did. Well we got a notice from the IRS in Nov. We have agreed to pay monthly installments. The tax is less than $1000. Do we have to pay this off before filing our 2010 tax return?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (4)
  • No, they might just garnish your 2010 taxes to get what you owe them

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:37 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

  • Contact the IRS and work directly with them. They agree to compromises all the time!

    Answer by tasches at 5:38 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

  • Call the IRS 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

    Answer by rkoloms at 11:37 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

  • No you don't have to pay it off before you file. Though if you are expecting a refund they might take out that $1000 and put it towards your back taxes.

    I also would think about getting a new tax adviser. That sounded like bad information that (s)he gave you.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:59 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.