Just want to vent about potty training (day 2)

I am using the 3 day training with my son who just turned 3. Yesterday he held his pee. We did have 4 accidents and I am sure he peed as much as he could during his baths. This morning when I went to wake him up to pee he was already wet so I let him sleep. When he woke we went potty and started the bath, he peed for the 1st time in the potty, we danced and I thought wow this will be great! Then he had an accident so I took him again. He did not want to be on the potty so I let him stand he peed on the floor, I put him on the toilet and he went again. I thought we were making great progress!! Then before his nap I tried to put him on the potty again. He fought it so bad: feet and legs were arrow straight, he nearly knocked me over (he is 50 lbs and 3'4"), he was screaming like crazy. I almost gave up and put a diaper on him (we were both crying (I am cramping and emotional from my period)) but I stayed strong in hopes of a happy Gavin after nap!

jen2774161

Asked by jen2774161 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don't give up. It sounds like he's getting there. It took my son awhile to get the hang of using the potty. They just need to get comfortable with this new skill they've learned, at least it sounds like he has bladder control and knows the potty is for peeing in.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 6:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Don't give up! He'll get there. Have you tried any reward systems? Like sticker charts or 2 M&M's?
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 3:42 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Oh and Do NOT go back to diapers- even at night b/c it will confuse him, I took us about 1 week to get the whole potty thing down. I even took the timer to the store with me, no matter where you are there is a bathroom available
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 3:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Can you give him a treat after he sits on the potty? A handful of M&Ms every time he sits. He doesn't have to go, just sit. Try to keep it positive. Have him sit on the potty every 1/2 hour if you can. I know it's frustrating. Let him sleep in a diaper, that will come later.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• You can't force a kid to potty train. a 3 day plan sounds ridiculous. He will do it when he's ready. Try to do it more gradually, and offer rewards for sitting on the potty and using the potty successfully.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 3:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• This is what i did.... I bought a timer, step stool, and let him pick out his own undies. I set the timer for 25-30 mins and when it went off, he pushed the button to make it stop and we went potty. The reward for peeing was 5 cents and for pooping was 25 cents... If he has an accident (pees) you still take him to the bathroom and make him try but then after that you take 5 cents away.. at the end of the week you count up the reward and let him pick out a toy at the store but continue to remind him that it is b/c he went potty! But the biggest thing with potty training is being the bigger person- Don't ask him if he has to go potty- Tell him he needs to go potty.... That is just my opinion. Good luck, It is frustrating but hang in there.... it will come to him
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 3:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Night time training can take years. Some kids have small bladders. They can be 5, 6 or 7 before they can go the night.
    Anonymous

• bump
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 9:12 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Thanks everybody! I know it's a process and I am staying strong. I do not put him in a diaper at night because I am on the undies only plan. I give him little dum dums for potty time. I think he was just tired this afternoon.
    jen2774161

Comment by jen2774161 (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Jan. 4, 2011