Nursing students expelled over posing with pictures of placenta on Facebook...

What do you think?

Two different view points:

http://www.impactednurse.com/?p=2510

http://thestir.cafemom.com/pregnancy/114518/new_pregnancy_fear_whos_got

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 3:44 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I read both articles and am having a hard time deciding...I guess ultimately for me it depends on what her ACTUAL motive was. Taking a photo to share her "educational experience" with her friends/family is one thing, but taking the shots for entertainment is another. The fact that she posted them on FB sort of makes me think this stunt falls into the entertainment category and that her reason is BS, but I could be wrong.
    Is this what our society has come to? Kids with cameras taking photos of placentas to post on facebook? Totally unprofessional.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• i agree with vicesix, its unprofessional to post pics like that on FB.
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 3:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I have read both and am shocked at how unprofessional these girls have been. I think the girl that is trying to sue to get back into school is a joke and i hope they do not allow her back into the school. Her reason seems to be BS. If she wanted to share what she was doing there are stories that you can share and pictures in her books from school. She does not need to take a photo of her with a big grin on her face as she holds the placenta....I would have been pissed if I delivered at that hospital....I would be suing them for how unprofessional they were. That does not olny show how unprofessional they were but the lack of respect for the human body...with that said it makes me wonder why they wanted to become a nurse.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:55 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I think the girls in question should have known better - if they wanted to document their educational experience they'd have taken more "professional" looking photos - the image w/ the first article looks like it's a joke to her; and the one below with the woman and the brain is for educational purposes; please ppl compare apples to oranges.

That all being said - this is beyond an extreme over-reaction in the 2nd article:

"But it was my placenta. It sustained my daughter for nine months, then it came out of my body. I had an expectation that it would go from my womb straight into medical waste, with no stops for monkey business along the way. To think of my placenta being played with, photographed, and used as evidence of the oddity of one's educational experience is jarring at best, humiliating at worst."

Is that woman serious??!! Get real lady!!
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• With no offense intended to any nurses who may read this - my experience with nursing students as I've had to cross paths with them at school makes me quite leery of them in general. Anything that weeds out the idiots before they have someone's life in their hands is fine by me.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I think it's ridiculous that she was kicked out. It's a placenta, for christ's sake. Who cares? After we give birth, it gets tossed. I never gave mine another thought, and could really not care less what anyone may have done with it. It's not like it had the patient's name on it. Not like she took a picture with the baby and posted it. Or made sick jokes about it. It's just a picture. "OMG LOOK IT'S A PLACENTA!" Bit nasty, if you ask me, but not unprofessional to the extent that the girls should have been expelled. I think she is perfectly within her rights to be suing the school. Reprimand, suspend maybe. Demand a formal letter of apology. But to expel? That's idiotic.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 4:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Again, ridiculous behavior- not too bright to document such behavior, let alone post on the www. At this point, nursing school admission is very competitive; no shortage of eager and qualified applicants. Obviously, she has to accept the consequences-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:20 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Oh for Petes sake. I can't believe the woman who says it was HER placenta is so upset. How did she know anyway? Did the girls post her name? Posting a placenta is nothing compared to I have seen people post on FB. Now if she put names and dates I'd call it unprofessional and that would be true becaus eof the HIPPA laws but just putting the placenta picture out there is only lame.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:25 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• What disturbs me most of all, is that the doner was never asked if she wanted to donate her placenta for study. Anything that comes from my body, needs my consent for poking and prodding. Makes me wonder what happened to mine when I had DD! It has my DNA after all. What if it winds up at a crime scene? Unlikely, I know... but she still should've been asked to sign something regarding donation. Medical waste should be incinerated. If the hospital feels entitled to that sort of thing, what's keeping them from using deceased fetuses for stem-cell research? I would be devastated to learn that my underliverable fetus (child) was being experimented on.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:30 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• As a former nurse and (obviously) a former nursing student, I think what these students did is unprofessional and the school officials were right in expelling them.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2011