New Orleans... help needed from those who have been

We will only have 2.5 days and 2 full nights....

First off I really want to do a tour... but of what? The homes, the cemeteries, the city, the 'rebirth', the grave yards... what?? Any suggestions of what is best... and if you know of a specific tour/tour company that is even better!

Restaurants... I dont want to froo froo... I LOVE to eat where the locals eat and I am VERY food adventurous. Any restaurant suggestions? or even local delicacies? Im definitelyhaving crawdads (crawfish?)... Ive never sucked out the head of crawdad and realllllywant to try that... and I know hubs is really excited to have some authentic creole gumbo.

Any other suggestions would be WONDERFUL.

sahlady

Asked by sahlady at 3:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Travel

• Those little buses that rides on the tracks(sorry I don't know what they are call) are real nice. They take you differents neighborhoods. Definetly visit Burbon Street. There is many things to do there. When me and hubby went we just walked around until we found somethin interesting. Hope you have fun.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 3:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• thank you nicjon. I was hoping to do an actual tour so we can get some of the history of the area... we love to walk and it looks like there are tons of walking tours as well as private and semi-private tours. I live in a tourist area on the west coast so Im not too fond of the bus type tours with hugs numbers of people... someone is always talking and you dont get half the info.

but I do like the idea of walking all around... thank you.
    sahlady

Comment by sahlady (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• If someone comes up to you and says "I bet you ten dollars I can tell you where you got your shoes", walk away, quickly. The answer is always "You got them on your feet! Now give me ten dollars!"

Take a bayou cruise, if you have time.

And you ABSOLUTELY MUST go to Cafe Du Monde. The Aquarium of the Americas was nice when we went (I was 11 then, and I'm almost 32 now, so it's been 20 years).

And yes, SUCK THE HEADS of the crawfish (not crawdads).
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 4:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Ah... ok... no dumb bets.
    Cafe Du Monde.
    I live VERY close to Seaworld... so Ill skip the aquarium... but thanks.
    And it is fish not dads.. thanks!
    sahlady

Comment by sahlady (original poster) at 4:58 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Love New Orleans....The Gumbo Shop in the French Quarter is great, Acme Oyster Bar is the best place for crawfish, took great cooking class at New Orleans School of Cooking, so fun and then you get to eat what they prepared for lunch. Dookie Chase is true Cajun food and she is a legend in New Orleans. A tour of some of the plantations on the River Road is fun, we did a dinner trip on the riverboats, take the trolley to see different parts of the city, Garden area is beautiful. Have fun!
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• thank you librarylady!
    sahlady

Comment by sahlady (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Cafe du Monde for cafe au lait and biegnets is a must do. A Po Boy from Central Grocery is another. Acme Oyster Bar is great.and try one of Emeril's restaurants. You will not get bad food anywhere in New Orleans. A tour of the plantations is always beautiful, or a tour of the bayous. Definitely go to a jazz club on Bourbon st.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:12 AM on Jan. 5, 2011