Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what type of "ID" do you need to bring your 3 year old on a plane?

I'm trying to book a trip and it shows me this message:::

Each traveler's information must match their government-issued photo ID.

what will I need for a 3 year old?


Asked by maxsmom11807 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Travel

Level 29 (40,703 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • i don't know if they mean children. but i would just make a copy of the birth certificate if you need something to take with you. at least if they look at it they will match your name with the mother's name. have fun.

    Answer by lambdarose at 4:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

  • U dont need anything. Ive traveled with my child plenty of times and have never needed anything but I always make sure to bring my childs documents with me just in case something does happen on my trip i can prove the child is mine and in case of medical emergencies.

    Answer by cantmoveon at 4:09 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

  • Just bring the birth certificate. what else is there?

    Answer by mompam at 4:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

  • Call the airline and ask.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

  • It should have told you on there...but it does not need ot be a photo id of them....You should be able to use shot reccords or the birth certificate....This is usualy only needed when you are trying to fly them as a lap child and they want proof of age. I dont see you needing anything for them. You can call the airline to get more info.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

  • You will need to bring an original copy of his birth certificate, with the state seal and all. Also it is good to bring their shot record. As long as the child is traveling with a parent, that is all they need. You have the option of getting her a state issued ID card. Call your local DMV to find out what they need for that. But they are not strictly needed to fly.

    My son traveled with my in-laws and the airport security didn't ask for anything, but it is better to be prepared than not. We also sent a notarized letter that he was allowed to travel with them.

    Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:04 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

  • If you're traveling domestically, it's good to have a copy of their birth certificate with you. Internationally of course you'd need a passport.

    Answer by Nanixh at 4:25 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

  • When we traveled with my son as a lap child they didn't ask for anything but we did bring a copy of his birth certificate just in case. This year, we'll be traveling again but he will have his own seat/tickets but I still only plan to bring a copy of his birth certificate. I mean really, what else can they ask for with a 2 year old!? You should be fine though. Just bring copies of what you have just in case.

    Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:25 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

  • My 9 year old flew last week, we needed no ID for her. No photo ID is required until the age of 18.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:42 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

  • ID for a child under the driving age is not required unless you travel internationally; then a passport would be required. If traveling domestically and the child has a driver's license, then that would be required. If a child is under the driving age,no ID is required.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:25 AM on Jan. 5, 2011