Question from my DH about Young Earth...

My DH had never heard of the "Young Earth" belief til the other day. Now, mind you, my DH is Christian. We were watching a documentary about Dinosaurs and Dragons and the entire second half was them trying to prove the young earth thing. SO my DH wanted to know where the 6000 year date comes from? I said it was a biblical belief that the OT took place over 4000 years and that there have been 2000 since Jesus... But he wants to know more about where the 4000 year idea from the OT comes from. He said it doesn't make sense - which I agree. But being I'm not Christian this is not a belief I understand to well... So could someone explain to me (so I can then explain to him) where the idea of 6000 years came from... Where is the "proof" for this?

Thanks!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Go to this link from Judaism 101 and scroll down to Numbering of Jewish years, it might explain it a bit.

Mamaie

Answer by Mamaie at 4:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• None exist.... It's just a guess they were even alive at all. Unless I see a bone and was knowledgeable of bone, age of earth, for sure ages of what kinds of animals etc. how are any people supposed to know for sure. We see whales, we see elephants, and see pythons, hippo, anaconda, gators etc. What are we to know unless we need reason to believe they were here. To know for sure, it's just hear say. They won't save us from each other, that is our worst dilemma'....

coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 4:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I think it might have something to do with the genealogy? All of the begets, or something? I'm not sure. I knew at one point, but since this young earth theory is one I reject I must have forgotten it, lol.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• It's related to the Hebrew calendar which starts (date of creation) around 3760 BCE (or maybe 3761?), but that gets you just short of 6000 years at the present date. I've heard numbers besides 6000 too, and I'm not sure where the date ranges between 6000 and 10,000 come from. Hope someone else knows more.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• http://www.straight-talk.net/evolution/youngearth.shtml

I don't agree with the theory either, but the 6k years has been around for a while.

• James Ussher (1581–1656) was Archbishop of Armagh, the highest position in the Irish Anglican Church, a product of the Reformation in England. ...According to his calculations in the early 1600s, the Earth is really only about 6,000 years old. Usher, a great scholar, knew when Nebuchadnezzar lived, and he worked his way backwards through the genealogies and came up with a creation date of 4004 BC. Evolutionist Stephen J. Gould stated that if Bishop Usher was right about the Bible being true, then the date would be correct.

anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• It has a lot to do with the geneology from Adam and Eve to Jesus.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• If you study the bible and read the ages, the years that are logged that had passed in certain stories, lineages, ect, if you actually sit there and have the time to study it, that's where it comes from.

honestly, where'd the billions of years old earth come from? it's really all just some guys sitting around and guessing. just because you dig so far down into the earth doesn't mean the date was that long ago. The flood (Noah's) wiped the earth completely clean and changed things around completely. things were shifting around like crazy under the pressure of a billion gallons of water. and it didn't settle until months later. just because it rained 40 days and nights doesn't mean that's how long they were actually in the ark.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2011