my child is having problem with friends her friends think she stole something when she didnt and she doent want to meet up with her friends parents because all of her friends parents r the freinds with each other.

what can i do

veronica95

Asked by veronica95 at 2:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• How do you absolutely know for certain she didn't steal something, other than her word? Maybe she doesn't want to face them because she is guilty. If I didn't do it, I would face all of them no problem. No one will call me a thief if I didn't steal anything and I would let them know. Your daughter could be telling you anything because maybe she thinks you are gullible enough to believe her. Happens all the time.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 2:19 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• welcome to the trials of bringing up a female child. the preteen years can be really rough.

this exact situation happened to my daughter. she went to a friend's house and was wearing a bracelet i bought her on vacation. the girl told her father it was her sister's bracelet and my daughter stole it. they made my daughter wait until the sister got home to say it wasn't hers. they never appologized to my daughter. unfortunately, i didn't find this out until months later because my daughter didn't want me to forbid her from going to their house. when i did find out what happened, i didn't allow my daughter to go to their house or to be friends with that girl again.

the entire thing was a "mean girl" set up. unfortunately, girls do this kind of stuff to eachother. i found it's best to stay out of it because in about a week they will be best buddies again. take comfort in knowing this will pass.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 7:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• What does your daughter want you to do? Take your cues from her. If she wants your help, then by all means help her, but if she wants you to stay out of it, as long as it doesn't escalate, then stay out of it as much as necessary. She may just want you to listen and not actually DO anything. Or she may want you to go with her to speak to the other parents. I'd probably lean that way myself, but my daughter thinks I try too hard to "fix" things for her, instead of letting her do it for herself. Good luck to you and your daughter!
    crazywith4

Answer by crazywith4 at 12:50 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Can she prove that she didn't steal? If you have the evidence, I would help her prove her innocence. If there is no proof, then I would go with her to tell all of them that she didn't do it. Then I would tell her to continue as before all of this came up. If she didn't do it, there is absolutely no reason why she should feel any differently than she did before. Unless of course, she doesn't want to be with people who don't believe her, in which case, she should tell them that and then stay away from them. The important thing is that, if she is innocent, she has the full support of her parents.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:22 AM on Nov. 12, 2008