potty training tips for a girl......anyone?

my boys were easy to potty train, they just decided that they were ready, no hassle at all. now with my dd who just turned 3 its a lot harder. i tried a few months ago but she showed no interest so i let it go for a bit. she will sit on the potty and go through the motions....sit for a few minutes, wipe, flush, wash hands but she is NOT going in the potty, she would go in her diaper after we put it back on. so now im using those padded cloth trainin pants with the plastic covers and taking her every hour, but still she waits till her panties are on then she goes. we have a potty chair and a potty seat for the toilet, she refuses to use the potty chair but will sit on the toilet with the seat. i know its gonna take some time to do, but will appreciate any advice....and i think part of the problem is tryin to get her to relax enough to go, i tried runnin water, pouring warm water umm down there(a friend suggested that cause she had to do that with her dd) tried talkin to her....
anything else i should try?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well girls just kind of do what they want to do until they are ready. My daughter now six used to poo in her diaper and then take it off. Sometimes dumping it herself. Some suggestions: take her to the bathroom with you....when she's on her potty give her a book or toy to sit with....when she goes on herself still put her on the pot even though she's already gone....dont change her right away after she wets or poos, they look at it like a game because its the repetition of mommy cleaning each time she pottys.
    herbalgirl011

Answer by herbalgirl011 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Put her in reg underwear or if your worried about pee on the floor do what you are doing now but if she pees in them don't rush to change her let her feel what its like to be wet for a min. Rewards have also worked for me stickers M&Ms whatever will work for her.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• This is what i did.... I bought a timer, step stool, and let her pick out her own undies. I set the timer for 25-30 mins and when it went off, she pushed the button to make it stop and we went potty. The reward for peeing was 5 cents and for pooping was 25 cents... Ifs he has an accident (pees) you still take her to the bathroom and make her try but then after that you take 5 cents away.. at the end of the week you count up the reward and let her pick out a toy at the store but continue to remind hers that it is b/c he went potty! But the biggest thing with potty training is being the bigger person- Don't ask her if she has to go potty- Tell her she needs to go potty.... That is just my opinion. Good luck, It is frustrating but hang in there.... it will come to her. Oh and don't put her back in undies even at night time b/c it will just confuse her. Once you go to undies DON'T go back!
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 4:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• good point charis 76...i didnt think to make her wait a min after she had an accident, i take her into the potty right away, sit her down and clean her up. maybe that feeling uncomfortable will help her. she hates being wet or dirty
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My daighter was potty trained with a sticker chart. She'd get a sticker everytime she used the potty, and once it was full, she got a prize at the store. I also have her 3 M&M's each time. She was PT around 2 years old. Then, once my son was a few months old, she changed her mind and refused to potty, but around 2 1/2, I told her I wasn't buying any more baby diapers (My son was using our cloth diapers, and I was sick of wasting money on disposables on a child who was fully capapble of going potty. ) So I put her in panties, changed them 7 times the first day she had less accidents the next and less the next. Within a couple of days, she quit having accidents. Good luck!! It sounds like you are doing lots right.
    LadySenae

Answer by LadySenae at 5:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• bump

and lots of febreeze
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 9:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• We used a potty sticker chart (with rewards), potty books and the Elmo's Potty Time DVD. Switching to underwear was key. We let our daughter pick them out at the store. I think she would have trained earlier if I hadn't kept her in the pullups for so long. Also, tons of praise for successes :)
    fraujones

Answer by fraujones at 3:27 PM on Jan. 5, 2011