For those who sell on ebay?

Do you start off the bid low and mark up the shipping to make sure that you get what you want or do you use the reserve feature? I saw a kids wheeler on there for .99 and the seller had the shipping for $150 or something like that. Ebay doesn't get a cut from the shipping price, right? Is that why sellers do this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Shopping

• Because people are to dumb to look at shipping before they bid. If I'm not mistaken ebay made a rule against this some time last year and it is now reportable.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 2:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I sell on Ebay and I charge the exact rate of shipping plus about 25 cents. When I sell my items, I start off with the lowest price that I would accept to see my item go. For most of my clothing items it is $3.99 unless it is brand new with tags. Ebay charges sellers a fee based on their listing and sale price. Many sellers inflate the shipping fees to make up for what they may not make on the actual sale price AND they are not charged a fee based on shipping. I think it is shady. I won't bid on an item with jacked up shipping charges.
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 3:35 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Most of the time you don't see the shipping price on the listing until you go to the actual page where the item is. So it gets you to look at the item and sellers figure they have a better chance of getting views. I know some people that don't mind bidding on items listed this way but i don't feel ok listing mines this way. (jmo)
    florezitta10

Answer by florezitta10 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 13, 2009