Need help dealing with DD temperment

My daughter is nine months old. She is extremely active, low tolerance for novelty, has difficulty following a schedule, and is of course going through the normal state of seperation anxiety. She has an exersaucer, but is so active that she doesn't like being confined. She is attempting to walk (already standing, lifting herself up, bouncing on legs while holding on to furniture, etc). Unfortunately, she does not engage in any other activity (other than eating and you know:). Coupled with the seperation anxiety, I am honestly losing my mind. I do devote a lot of time encouraging her to walk, but she has, honestly, the most energy of any baby I have ever met. She doesn't get tired (she doesn't sleep well either but that is a whole other issue). As a result, I don't get anything done and can't give my older child any attention. Has anyone else had a child with a difficult temperment and such high levels of energy who can give me some ideas as to how to keep her active while I do other things. Any help would be appreciated. The jumperoo has the same effect as the exersaucer.

tarabartish

Asked by tarabartish at 4:14 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had something that was basically a bunch of baby gates put together and it went in the middle of the room and made a big circle of baby gates. Does that make sense? I could put my DD in there with a few toys and she could pull up on the gates and walk around or look over the top, but she couldn't climb out at that age. She didn't always love it, but she could move around and play and I could get something done knowing she was safe and secure. They sell them at stores and I found mine on Craigslist for $45.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• i dont see that as difficult but a normal baby. you have to learn to let some things go, the chores will always be there but your baby wont, enjoy the time you have with her. just baby proof everything and take her with everywhere you go. my kids were the same way, i just found them something they could do while i was cleaning, cooking. hand them a rag and have them help wipe off the table, window ect. when they were little i put them in the high chair while i cooked and had them play cook, or if i was making fresh corn i had them peel the corn. and with laundry they would hand me stuff to fold. sure have your kid "help" may take longer than normal and it may not be perfect but thats how they learn. a confident child leads to an independent adult
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 4:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• How old is your older child? Big siblings can do a lot to entertain and help out. She sounds very energetic :)
    fraujones

Answer by fraujones at 4:38 PM on Jan. 5, 2011