Dealing with a 2 year old...

My 2 year old cries all the time, well it seems like it, and won't tell me why. These crying spells can last for 10+ minutes (usually around 5).I try many possibilities and hug/hold him but it doesn't work. I feel mean when I just walk away from him, but sometimes that is the only way to get the crying to stop. He is in a very loving environment with rules that are enforced. There is no violence in his life or anything that could be creating this. I guess I want to know if this is common, if he is just sensitive, or possible ideas for me to help him.

bugfin

Asked by bugfin at 4:30 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There is no explanation for the crying at all? Or something you suspect is the cause- like being tired, not getting his way, being disciplined, etc? And then he just gets over it once he's left alone for a few minutes? I can't think what the cause would be, but I think if holding or comforting him does not work then I would give him a quick hug and tell him that you will give him a moment to himself to calm down and either come back to check on him or wait for him to come to you but stay close. Then you can tell him you are glad he is feeling better and go on with the day. Could he be doing it for attention? Maybe he saw someone else do it and get attention and it put an idea in his head. Try reading him books about emotion to help teach him what mad, sad, scared, happy, etc are all about and maybe he can learn to express what's bothering him. Good luck, this is a bit of a puzzle for sure.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• It does happen a lot after naps, but not exclusively. He sleeps really well (11 hrs at night and 1-2 hr nap). He does have 4 month old sister, but the major jealousy issues dissolved months ago. I hadn't thought about emotions books. I will check that out next time we go shopping. Thanks!
    bugfin

Comment by bugfin (original poster) at 5:30 PM on Jan. 4, 2011