I just had a new born baby who is little over 2 weeks now...My question is..?

I use the avent baby bottles and i wash them with hot water and soap and then put it into a sterilizer afterwards i usually bring up 3 or 4 bottles so i don't need to run downstairs during the nights...but I just thought about all the little mist in the bottles after being sterilized.. is the mist in the bottles okay? Or could they have germs afterwards? should i wipe the inside so no moist is in there?

my other question is... is it okay to put the baby bottles on a rack and let it air dry? Is that safe for newborns systems? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies are a lot more durable than you may think. With my dd I only washed the nipples in hot soapy water (we used drop ins so i only had to rinse the bottles) then laid out to dry on a towel. She was fine. I think you'll be fine. Don't worry about the little things :)
    Also, as long as the rack is clean, you're fine.
    Anonymous

• My first son was a bottle baby and his always finished air-drying after coming out of the dishwasher. I wouldn't worry about it but if you are really concerned it wouldn't take a minute to swipe them out with a clean paper towel. Just think though, whatever is swirling about in your house that might land in the bottle your baby is already breathing in.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 2:19 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Unless your baby has health issues, there really isn't any need to be that picky about sterilizing everything. I wash my baby's stuff with hot soapy water and he's good to go.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 2:28 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I agree with Slinkee... Whatever lands in the bottle he's already breathing in.... I was my sons bottles with hot soapy water... then place them on a clean dry towel to dry... and my son is 10 wks and he's fine... don't stress to much... if u do u'll drive ur self insane!!
    apeclark2008

Answer by apeclark2008 at 2:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• If he doesn't have large health problems, good old soap and water is fine and air drying is fine too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Generally the mist is just the condensation from the hot water as it cools. It happens inside my glasses all the time after I wash them. As long as you got all the soap out, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Babyness

Answer by Babyness at 3:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I always saw it as more sanitary to let them air dry then to try to dry them out. By air drying your are not touching the surface like you would be if you pushed something in them to dry them. By doing that you may push germs down into them.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 3:25 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• As long as you are not pre-making these bottles with breastmilk or formula and taking them upstairs your baby will be just fine, soap and hot water are all you need. If you are pre-making these bottles, STOP. Bacteria can grow in the formula or breastmilk after one hour especially if it's warm liquid the bacteria can grow even faster. Never use formula or breastmilk after the baby has ate most of it. Just dump it out so to be sure no bacteria can grow and make your baby sick
    Kimx3babies

Answer by Kimx3babies at 3:56 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I'm doing the same thing with my stuff, and the mist is absolutely fine. I usually try to dry it out anyway, just because...well, I don't have a good reason, I just do it! Air drying is ok as well.

However, when you say you bring bottles with you, are you saying your keep PREPARED bottles with you? Because that is NOT ok....once stuff is mixed (or squeezed), it needs to be eaten shortly after or discarded.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• No i'm not bringing prepared bottles just empty bottles upstairs
    Anonymous