What's your best advice on this?

What's your best advice on breast feeding? I need some advice or encouragement to make it as successful as possible. Thanks a lot

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't be afraid to ask for help. The lactation specialists at most hospitals are very friendly women that have had a lot of experience. It can be intimidating at first, you want everything to go just right and sometimes its like a fish to water.. sometimes its like riding a bike (wobbly, mistakes, but you slowly get better and so does baby!)

Buy some Lansinoh (lanolin lotion) to sooth sore nipples, and get some shields for catching leeks (those are both common.)
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 2:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Don't be afraid to take a break. It's ok to give formula so you can get a little more sleep while hubby or grandma gives a bottle. Use that time to let your breasts air out and heal a little. I took a whole night (3 feedings) off (i pumped when I got up those since I was soo engorged! and that gave me some breastmilk to bottle feed at later feeding at which time I could pump again and restock) but it helped so much with the pain. Also, try the gerber hot/cold breast packs. Heat them and put on before feeding to help the milk drop faster or cold afterwards for any pain. lanolin is great too.
    Anonymous

• My best advice is to LOVE IT!!
    When you convince yourself you will hate it, or that you do, it makes it harder. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.
    It can be tough- the first couple weeks can be painful due to a bad latch.. It can be frustrating to be a human pacifier.. It can be tricky because your baby may get fussy over certain foods you eat (spicey or acidic foods for example)..
    But it's beautiful and amazing.. Those moments of frustration are nothing compared to watching your LO smile around a nipple, milk dribbling out of its mouth.. To knowing that there is one thing in the world that only YOU get to share with your baby.. No one else can take that love away from you..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• (cont) All of this is aside from the nutritional benefits, of course, which are MANY!!
    Women never ever question whether or not BFing was the best choice for their child.. They KNOW it is..
    There are very few drawbacks to BFing- and those are only what you make of it. So your child is dependent on you for feedings.. So what? Is your day so consumed with other things that you can't spend 20 minutes lost in your child's gaze??
    When you need advice, talk to pro-BFers.. They have the best advice. They can help you through the rough patches, and delight with you over the infinite marvels..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Expect it to be hard, but hopfeully the benefits excite you enough to make it worth it. Before you know it (seriously!) it'll be second nature to you!

DEFINITELY don't be afraid to ask for help. Some people WILL be really pushy, but then you can just come on here to vent to those of us who are more realistic, and we'll help you through. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:20 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Re the Anonymous post- I would advise you not to take this advice.
    Any pain experienced is from a bad latch. If you don't learn to latch on correctly, then that pain will not subside with a formula break.
    The first few days ARE the hardest!! But with SUPPORT you can get through it.
    There is no need to substitute with bottles - if you need some extra sleep, bring baby to bed with you.. Being close to mama, and smelling your delicious milk will make baby sleep better.. When babe needs a midnight, 2am, 4am, and 6am feeding, you can just roll over and plop a boob in the mouth, no need for either of you to wake up and lose sleep over it..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• sometimes it helps to hold ur boob,make sure his nose is not coverd,
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 5:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Breastfeeding is so worth it. I bf my first for 19 months and my 2nd for 15 months and loved every minute of it. My third I only nursed for 3 months due to health issues and I feel like I lost out but it didnt seem to impact our mother-child relationship in the least. I'm having my fourth and plan to give it another go. Its hard at first but it takes alot of learning on both ends and I have found, having experience with both full time breastfeeding and full time bottlefeeding that breastfeeding is so much more convienient. Its always there, always fresh, always clean and always warm to the perfect temp. It may not always be easy to nurse in public but I got over my shyness and I'm sure that you can to. Babies have to eat either way you chose!!!!!!!
    Britt_920

Answer by Britt_920 at 5:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Make sure you get lots of support the first two weeks. They can be rough. Also, although its not recommended, I pumped within those two weeks so my partner could feed my son while I rested (Isuffered from mastisis). If you really need the rest I would recommend doing that.

It gets easier and after the first couple of weeks are over which will go quickly, you will find everything going nicely.

If you are up for co sl;eeping I recommend it..I love snuggling with my 1 year old in bed :) and it will make breastfeeding easier and less exhausting. Once you establish a good latch with your baby you should have no problem doing this lying down (I found this quite hard at first but it got nice and easy).
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:19 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I had a hard time breastfeeding at first, but now it's fine... my advice is...
    Don't give up! It's harder than you would think. I wanted to give up after 1 week, 2 week,....6 weeks! As you and the baby learn it gets better each day... but it is still hard sometimes.
    Have a strong support system. Make sure your husband is on board... it's much harder if your husband says when you are having troubles... "just give the baby some formula".
    But if you or your breasts need a break, don't feel bad about giving a bottle!! Sometimes you need that time to yourself to de-stress so that you can continue to have a happy breastfeeding relationship.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2008