turbo tax vs getting them done by someone else..

has anyone ever used Turbo tax software?
or do you just get them done by someone somewhere?
i was debating on doing this myself so i could do it at home but im SoO afraid of F'ing up!
anyone ever used it?
pros and cons?

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 4:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• We used Turbotax last year and it was the first year our taxes were done right.
    We plan on using them again this year. But I don't think I'd recommend them unless your taxes are pretty straight forward.
    Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I always use turbo tax, its easier and cheaper. It very self explanatory, it walks you through how to do it and if you have a question its easy to find the answer
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I love turbo tax! If you're just filing personal taxes, you can get all the way to the end of the Federal return absolutely free! When our taxes were more simple, I used to do mine on paper and then use turbo tax to double check myself. Since it's free, try it out!
    crystalbean2

Answer by crystalbean2 at 4:44 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• turbo tax walks you right through it. If you are doing a basic return then it is the way to go. Taking it somewhere cost way more money but is good if you need the money same day (loan) or have a complicated return.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:51 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• If you don't have anything too complicated, I'd go with Turbo Tax. It's MUCH cheaper, even paying the $40 or so to file state taxes, too (versus a possible couple of hundred dollars to have someone else do it).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:51 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• no sorry
    san78

Answer by san78 at 4:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Turbo Tax is definitely the way to go. I've used it for years. It has all the up-to-date deductions that you may not know about and can take full advantage of. It is absolutely the easiest software to use. It asks you simple questions from start to finish. You CAN'T go wrong! A couple years ago, my SO did his taxes and was freaking out that he was going to have to pay approx. $700. I know his finances and KNEW that just couldn't be right. He let me plug it into Turbo Tax and it turned out, he really owed only $63.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 4:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• i have used Turbo Tax since 1998 and it is really easy and inexpensive. If I hired a CPA it would cost at least $200.00 and its not worth it.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I've used both - Turbo Tax if it is pretty straightforward - no rental or income property, etc.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I use turbo tax and find it really easy to use.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2011