S/O: What does your religion believe about homosexuality? What would you leader of the church say?

I grew up Mormon and my oldest brother is a cross-dresser. Once our bishop found that out and our parents refused to get him help they excommunicated our family. Eventually we were welcomed back but my brother. I refused to go back afterward because I was taught not to judge and that's all the church did to our family. I believe the bishop abused his powers. He wasn't one for long I believe he was asked to step down a short time after being in office.

PLEASE don't turn this into a debate forum. I'm really curious about what other faiths leaders would do if your child was homosexual/trans or a cross dresser

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 4:50 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, I'm Pagan. I have honestly never met a Pagan who had anything against Homosexuality. Generally it's seen as just as natural as heterosexuality. And we tend to encourage everyone to embrace their true self - gay, straight, bi or whatever...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• No Hearth I would be a member of would discriminate. There are branches of Heathenry which do have an issue with it, but like in other faiths, they don't have a legitimate textual defense for it - they just have a macho idea and think that's how it works. The truth is there is a documented history of homosexuality through all of Europe, and that includes the Germanic peoples. There were guidelines and expectations - you were still expected to have a marriage/procreate, and there was a stigma to the more feminine half of a pair (if it were two men - two women wasn't even an issue). Members of the bigoted branches get REALLY mad when you show them those passages, but then they're usually the same ones who think Heathen=Aryan, so their opinion is worth jack anyway.

I've never found anything that directly addresses cross-dressing.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I have to agree with this "We do believe that homosexuality is a sin, however everyone has sin in their lives. We are all deserving of love and respect and no one should ever be turned away from God by Man, when GOD himself loves his children despite our faults." Sorry to take someone's words but is just what I would say.

bertie4

Answer by bertie4 at 7:51 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Mine would love him where he is at and let him know who he truly is in God's eyes. Its not up to us to change others but to love them. Often that love brings healing and does the changing all on its own. My pastor would never ever kick a family out for this! We are actually near San Francisco so yeah.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Im sorry your family had to deal with the Bishops power trip(I was raised Mormon too).

My path says to basically live and let live. We are who we are and we shouldnt judge or treat people poorly because they arent like us,etc.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• There are no leaders in atheism or dogma.  For me personally, I will always love and support my children.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I'm with Sabrina. Pretty much as long as your sexuality isn't actually harming someone (as with molestors or rapists), then wherever you fall in the gamut is tolerated.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• my church and all the one's I've gone to believe homosexuality a sin. However, none of the churches I've gone to have belittled/discriminated against/shunned/excommunicated/etc a person/family for it. Fortunately I've gone to very open, welcoming, and loving churches. Basically they view everyone as dealing with sin, we all sin, and sin is sin..not any one is worse than another. So they welcome everyone with open arms and pray for them just like they do for everyone else. Actually, one of my brother's friends that he brings to church is a lesbian and she loves it! She even wants to get involved with different groups and attend different classes being held.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 5:12 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• We do believe that homosexuality is a sin, however everyone has sin in their lives. We are all deserving of love and respect and no one should ever be turned away from God by Man, when GOD himself loves his children despite our faults.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 5:30 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I'm Southern Baptist. It wouldn't exactly be accepted, but nobody would say anything to them. Our church thinks that having gay sex is a sin, the Bible says it is, but nobody is going to force them out of the church. They would not be able to be a leader in the church, but to attend - that's fine.

Answer by missanc at 7:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2011