My son falls ALL THE TIME!

I feel like every other day my 22 month old son is falling down and hurting himself! He's a very active boy and he's always running EVERYWHERE he goes. I'm an overly protective mom and everything - I don't even let him walk into a room without me unless it's child-friendly. But even if I'm there I can't always get to him on time. I feel so bad...is this still normal? (He's been walking since he was 11 months.)

crystalbean2

Asked by crystalbean2 at 4:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kids are also the same way. My daughter is so clumsy. She falls all the time. Once, she fell and broke a tooth on my father in law's knee I was in the same room, just a few feet away and saw her fall but couldn't reach her in time. One day at Wal-Mart, she fell and hit her head on the wheel of the shopping cart. Withing a minute, her hair was soaked in blood and blood was all over the floor. It was a tiny cut but scared me really badly. She's 4 1/2 and just doesn't walk carefully or pay attention all the time. We would love to prevent all these accidents, but we can't. I have heard of children who had ear problems falling an abnormal amount, so you could have your doctor check if you are seriously concerned, but it's probably just normal.
    LadySenae

Answer by LadySenae at 5:12 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My DD is 3 and runs into walls because she is looking behind her. She trips over her own feet because she isn't paying attention. She can fall down standing still in the middle of an empty room!! :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Yeah my daughter is the same way
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• my kids are the same.....
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 4:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• But Mommie, that made me laugh out loud :) Can't add anything the other moms already stated..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:58 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Sometimes kids get clumsy before they have a growth spurt. Or if you think his falling is excessive... have his ears looked at... sometimes their balance can be off because of fluid in the ears.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Sometimes when kids are running they don't always pay attention to where they are actually going. This is normal.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:00 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I remember when my daughter started walking she would fall and have knots the size of golf balls on her head she was so active but eventually she learned to catch her self and get that jumping on the couch or edge of the bed isnt going to have a happy ending lol
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 3:33 AM on Jan. 5, 2011