Do you allow your teens to cuss in front of you??

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 5:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes I do - although I have had the conversation with them about how words used with bad intent or even sometimes to look cool can make them look ignorant or uneducated. It's important for them to watch who they are saying what in front of. I don't want my boys running around and being in social places cursing like sailors in front of children or other parents who disapprove. It's allowed in my home and I know they do curse around their friends, but they do have the respect around others who find it offensive to not do it.
    Even I don't like them using certain words and in my presence they don't use them, and if their friends slip up, my boys are the first to tell them to apologize to me because it's not appropriate in our house. I believe words are just words, but its important to be respectful around others to gain their respect in return, so what I may approve of another mother may not and my boys need to respect that.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 5:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• No, I wont allow them to curse. We dont curse at all.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 5:39 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My children did not curse as teens, and they don't curse as adults, either. Their dad and I don't curse, nor do our grandchildren curse.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:21 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Absolutely not. Its disrespectful. I say the occasional shit, hell or damn but thats about it.
    I will NOT allow it in my presence.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 9:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My kids aren't teens yet, but yes, we allow them to "cuss" in front of us. We don't believe in the notion of "bad words." Rather we believe that words are words and that any word can be used for "bad" when used improperly, however, the converse is true as well. When not being used to hurt others, there are no "bad words."

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• No. I don't swear, my husband doesn't swear and our sons are adults and I have no clue if they swear or not because they don't do it around us.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 5:50 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• yes we do-

I have more issues with words or phrases that put other people down, and name calling.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:51 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• No, but then we don't curse in our home at all.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My husband and I rarely swear so we expect our children not to do it either. Words may just be words but there are so many other ones to use that sound more intelligent than those classified as swear words.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 8:09 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Yes I do.  It is not the word that is bad, it is the intent behind it.  They know that if they ever use it anger with me, it may well be the last thing they ever do!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2011