Have you ever been raped? How many times? Did you know them? Did you report them?

Two-thirds of rapes are committed by someone the victim knows. Like, knows knows. A roommate, a buddy, a classmate, a co-worker, a friend-of-a-friend. If you want to expand it out a little bit, at the very least, — 73 percent of rapes are committed by a non-stranger. 30 percent chance to be raped by one's boyfriend or husband. Or it could even be a family member. Seven percent of rapes are committed by a relative. And you know what? The person who rapes will probably have raped seven to nine women, depending on what stats you rely on, before he’s ever put in jail. , also men get raped. One in 33 in their lifetimes.

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 5:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• When I was 15, I was raped by my boyfriend and his friend. Although the boyfriend didn't actually do the raping, he helped to hold me down. I had never met the friend before this happened... Apparently, my boyfriend owed him drug money, and he decided he would take me and one of my friends as payment instead. When they finished with me, they went to her house... So technically it was a "stranger rape" but it really wasn't.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Yes I was.. I knew him all of a few hours. I had way too much to drink and he took advantage of that. I was a teen also.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:24 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Oh my goodness sabrina. I am so sorry that happened to you. I hope you got them thrown in jail and that you life has bettered since. I have never been raped, but have always had the fear and taken the precautions to try to prevent it. Of course if you trust the person you have no fear of them so you wouldn't know what was coming. Ugh, this subject saddens me. No one should ever have to go through such a tramatic thing.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 5:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• When I was 14, by me then 18 year old boyfriend. The one person I did tell didn't believe me.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• When I was 21 I was raped by someone who I kind of knew and was getting to know better. I had met him through friends and hung out with them and him, but never him alone until that night. I didn't call the cops and I really regret it to this day
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• here goes...3 times

one was a guy who wanted to go out with me - and we were at his house after a football practice and...
    one was an ex roommate-we were hanging out at his apt one night -yes there was drinking...
    and one was the neighbor of a friend-

back then I used to think that if I did things with guys it might get me a BF...I had serious self esteem issues
    BUT
    NO is STILL NO and yes I told all 3 of them more than once...I should have fought them off more and in fact at the second guys apt- I was actually screaming for someone(there were other people there-it was a get together/party type thing) but no one cared

and no I didn't do anything about any of them except make sure to completely avoid them after
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:48 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Charlot and Sabrina I am very sorry that this happened to you. I was raped once by a boyfriend. After raping me he threw me out of his house. The next time an acquaintance attempted to rape me but thank God I fought him off of me. He became afraid when I screamed to high heaven!

I told them both no. It was not my fault. They were just jerks. Fighting is not always the answer. Sometimes lying there is. Whatever gets you to the other side of it was what you were supposed to do. I also didnt report either one to the police but I told my mother and cousin about the second guy. The cousin did not believe me. The rapist was his friend.

Sometimes when I am with my husband I may smell something or he says something or... anything can take me back to that place when I was raped.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 6:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I don't know if this counts but I watched my sister be raped as she screamed when I was 5 by a stepbrother (he was 18, she was 8). He was molesting me as well and I slept in a bed with him every night. I still can recall the terror I felt afterwards when I had to sleep in bed with him. I lay awake in terror at night that he would wake up and instead of molesting me he'd rape me too. He was my babysitter also. Memories of begining kindergarden overlap with these memories. He moved out eventually but he wasn't prosecuted. My mom knew about it all but somehow denied it.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 6:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• i was raped by my ex husband.. after i filed for divorce he came to "visit" MY daughter (he is the sperm donor) but he never even paid her any attention. he just kept trying to talk me out of going through with the divorce. when he left i went and laid my daughter in her bed and walked back down the hall and into the livingroom when he came busting through the door and pushed me back to the bedroom and held me down pulled my pants down and raped me (all while my daughter was in her bed less than 5 feet away) i didnt call the cops and the only person i have told is my husband.. i was too scared to and i didnt think anyone would do anything anyways since technically he was still my husband. i wish i had call the cops but i also wish i would have called the cops the numerous times he beat the shit out of me before and during my pregnancy. i should have just for the safety of my daughter.
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 8:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• When i was 11/ 12.....my sisters b/f's brother....he knew i had a crush on him and he took major advantage of it. I had never even had sex at that point. I said no ALOT and ran out after it happened and im glad i did because when i opened my eyes his big fat nasty cousin was standing next to him waiting his turn. Did not call the cops or tell anyone....just wanted it to all go away.

Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 9:15 PM on Jan. 4, 2011