how many of you were ever given Lidocaine Viscous for a sore or strep throat?

i have strep and along with my zpak she gave me a small bottle of this. i am suppose to just dilute it in water and garge 1 teaspoonful 4 times a day. well i have done it twice and it doesn't touch the pain at all. it numbs my tongue and lips alright, but not my tonsils and back of my throat where i need it to work! my throat has never been in so much pain before, it's seriously excruciating everytime i swallow. ive done so many different things today and nothing is working :( even chamomile tea with honey seems to actually make it worse. just wondering for those of you who took this, how long did it take to start working??

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:22 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Health

• You can take ibuprophen for pain and 600mg is OK. my S/O took 800mg for his back. I had a really sore throat and just sucked on really strong Halls Medicated cough drops constantly to keep my throat moist. Talking also aggravates it, so try not to talk too much, the pain should be much better in a 24 hr period.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 6:58 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• It did the same thing to me so I stopped taking it. I had it prescribed after my tonsils were removed.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:51 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I had it for a infection on my gum....but mine told me to swallow......if its ok to swallow it...then that would work on your throat....but check first....maybe yours is different than mine??
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• yea, the directions say to gargle :( ugh i cant take this pain anymore today! i cant wait til 7 when i can alternate my motrin and tylenol.. that seems to ease the pain for an hour.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2011