Healthy foods, whole foods, and natural foods are hard to come by these days.

To eat healthy, really cost more, because the items that are supposed to be healthy are covered in chemicals. Organic products or local farmer products are no doubtedly worht the extra cost if you've got the extra money to spend, but if you dont, your stuck with the things that are less healthy or not healthy at all. Things like hamburger helper and canned goods can contain insane amounts of sodium. High fructose cornsyrup seems to make it's way through everything from bread, salad dressing, tea, cerial...it's everywhere.
We cant have better food in the super markets that is more affordable, and we cant have cheaper, better health care....
but we can have all the products that are culprits in causing obesity, heart disease, and diabetes. Anyone have an ideas or opinions they would like to express on this issue?

sorry, I live in louisiana, i forget that there are accually other places that have like markets very close by. Where I live, it's a long drive to a farm and is pricey.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Health

• It varies by region I guess. Where I live fresh produce is easy and cheap to come by, so that eliminates that problem. Other things like whole grains, legumes and meats can vary as well. It's much cheaper and healthier to make something from scratch. If health were the main concern, more people would be willing to put in the extra time to prepare things at home.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I have no idea where you live, but I feed my family of five on a tight budget on only whole foods, and fresh produce- and we're vegetarians.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• You're doing it wrong. Normally, I'd pm you, but since you posted it anon I can't, so here's the link to my group if you'd like to read more about why it's not more expensive. You need to rethink the way you shop, eat, cook, and plan your meals, but it's absolutely cheaper to eat healthy than it ever is to buy the processed crap like hamburger helper and canned veggies. http://www.cafemom.com/group/111028

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:38 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• First off you can eat healthy on a budget. You can buy apples, bananas, and frozen fruit at a pretty fair price. As for Veggies, I never buy canned, I ALWAYS buy the frozen store brand. I can see your point when it comes to locally grown, but around here it's mostly seasonal so I grow our own during those months, like tomatoes, bell peppers, strawberries... I only plant enough to eat so there's no waste. As for meat I buy the frozen chicken breasts that are free range, not from the big chicken farms, etc. As for beef, and pork I buy from our local butcher because it tastes better, and I know where it comes from. As for cereals, grains, etc, you can buy whole grain bread, cereal, rice and pasta at a pretty reasonable cost. Another good money saving tip, don't eat out, and cook at home. It's better for your family, and will save you money!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I pay now more for natural foods either pay it now or pay later.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• If you buy produce and wash it thoroughly, they will be fine. AVOID packaged foods such as HamburgerHelper...ugh...I haven't bought it for my family since the 1980's. I make spaghetti sauce from scratch, for example, and bake chicken and fish or saute with olive oil and steam veggies, bake potatoes, and make tossed salads with homemade salad dressing....that has to be healthy. It isn't really that expensive to cook with healthy ingredients.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2011