States, Congress ready assault on labor

I love this. Right now States cannot claim bankruptcy,  Do you think States should have to go through regular bankrupcy ? No more bailouts.

Link text

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 5:51 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree no more bail outs but what is a good solution to get a state out of serious debt? High unemployment? Where are the alternative answers??
    Anonymous

• Makes sense to me.
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 7:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I agree no more bail outs but what is a good solution to get a state out of serious debt?

***
    Salary and benefit reductions! Some of the sweetheart deals that many state employees have is absolutely ridiculous. They can keep their jobs, put take a pay cut (like many in the private sector experience), be offered a basic health care plan as opposed ot the "Cadillac" variety, and trim the excess--such as having one person do the job that 2 or 3 are currently doing!!

States that are in trouble will also need to raise property and sales taxes, increase tolls on toll roads, increase parking meter fares, and increase the cost of and the number of moving and vehicle violations issued.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I agree. Unions have become exactly what they were formed to fight, except, the public is trying to protect ourselves from unions. I live in a 'right to work' state. We don't have all those unions in NC. I am a teacher. If I were to 'strike', I would be looking for a job. I also put 6% of my salary into my state retirement. It isn't just given to me as so many union pensions are. It is my money. People have to realize they have milked this cow dry. There is not more money to give. The cuts that have to be made are going to be a little painful. The lesson to be learned is that you can't sit back and expect the state to be able to take care of you even through pensions.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I agree, NO MORE BAILOUTS!!! And the gvt needs to stop the damn free cellphone program!!! IMO!

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2484195/posts

In 2008, the fund that foots the bill for this program contributed $819 million to subsidize low-income telephone services. The fund is projected to grow to over $1 billion this year. That’s $1 billion of over $800 billion the United States will spend on welfare in 2010.

cont...

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:43 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• This particular program is covered by the federal Universal Service Fund. At first it received its money by essentially taxing telephone companies that provided long-distance service, with the money then being used to provide affordable rates for those living in less densely populated areas where phone service was more costly. However, in 1996, Congress voted to extend the use of this fund to subsidize low-income households and subsequently expanded the list of those required to pay into the fund to include: local telephone companies, wireless companies, paging services, and payphone providers. (Naturally, the cost for this fund is passed to the customer.) In 2008, the Federal Communications Commission began subsidizing cell phones for low-income households.
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:44 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• SCAM, There is no such thing as a bail out.

Money is printed based on debt, a loan(debt) prints more money. If everyone went to their bank right now to get their money out, it would not all be there or in any storage- IT would have to be printed(if that bank had made any loans).

Money is an illusion. Pretty strong one too, we are enslaved, its like oxygen for most.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 4:39 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• You need to find out which Republican reps are local to you that support the illegalization of Public Sector Unions, it is currently starting in NYC and NJ then financially back them and support them all the way up the ladder.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:38 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• In answer to your question, Bankrupting NY and CA is really the only way out of their looming legacy costs that will put the states in default, causing them to be recipient states. We can't have states as large as NY and CA receiving money from other states yearly, forever.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:40 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• http://www.rickscottforflorida.com/home/turn-florida-around/

this isn't such a bad idea either for turning around a near bankrupt state

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:43 AM on Jan. 5, 2011