Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Anyone know how to get a common law divorce so I can get mine and my daughters things back?

Answer Question

Asked by Shalyn1 at 5:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Relationships

Level 2 (7 Credits)
Answers (8)

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

  • I would check into loca laws first to see if your state even recognizes common law marriages because most don't, even ones who did in the past refuse to recognize common law marriages now. Good luck.

    Answer by 405mom at 5:55 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

  • Sorry typo local*

    Answer by 405mom at 5:55 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

  • I didn't know if that still existed or not now. i didn't think it did because my dh's ex tried to take his car and whatever else because they lived together for like 4 years, but was told that because they were not legally married, all she could do was get child support for their son. my dh had to get an officer to go with him to get his things out of her apartment.

    Answer by shoot4thestars at 5:55 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

  • Talk to a lawyer about it. Or Google it

    Answer by louise2 at 5:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2011


    Answer by Collegemommy910 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

  • If your state recognizes it and you qualify, then you have to get a normal divorce

    Answer by gypsymama532 at 6:09 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

  • A normal divorce.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 7:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships
Sex toy question adult content

Next question overall (Preschoolers (3-4))
things to do??