if you are a mom on a VERY tight budget - what can you do to be green with your children/family?

we do not have much money left at the end of the month. I can't afford higher priced items....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• I try and use coupon as much as possible and take advantage of double coupon day at your grocery store!!!
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 5:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Worry more about the reduce and reuse, and less about the recycle. Cook from scratch, use homemade cleaning products, and you'll eliminate massive amounts of packaging and chemicals from your life in one shot.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Well, I just started to make my own laudry detergent, very easy and very very cost effective, as I do about 8 loads a week, we use cloth diapers, but only when we are at home and night time. We have a garden in the summer and can as much as we can. We were freezing food but we lost a huge freezer full of veggies and meat when a storm knocked out our power for 4 days so we can our veggies and only freeze our meat. My husband doens't have time to hunt but we will get a whole deer given to us and for about $70 you can have it made into sausage, burger, roasts, cube steak, and stew meat. 1 decent size deer makes enough meat tp last you about a yr,
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 5:58 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Well in many cases being green around the home is cheaper than not. You can clean your entire home with water, vinegar and baking soda. A spray bottle with half water, half vinegar is a natural all purpose anti-bac cleaner that costs pennies a bottle. You can spend $10 on supplies for making homemade laundry detergent and that will make 3 or more batches. Each batch lasts 6 months. So $10 = 18-24 months of laundry detergent. A tennis ball in the dryer is an inexpensive fabric softener.

When you need to buy clothes shop at yard sales and thrift stores, and when outgrown resell them on ebay, craigslist or at a yard sale yourself.

Have a veggie garden this year, if you don't have a large yard read up on container gardening....you can use containers you already have (if creative) to grow veggies and save on groceries...not to mention pesticides & herbicides.

Make bread, butter, etc.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I also leave our heat on 66 and if it's summer time I keep the air on 76 and we run all ceiling fans, my summer utility bills are under 150 and we stay plenty cool. Winter my bill is a little higher but we have a gas unit and the gas is expensive
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 6:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Green doesn't have to be expensive. Although SOME things are going to cost you more in the beginning, most will save you money over time. For example, we cloth diaper & I use cloth pads. Both can be a bit more costly to get started with, but they can save you TONS over time. Other things that can help you be "green" are going to save you money TODAY. Like shopping second hand, or using a system like FreeCycle that allow you to share your used items with others. Other things could include starting a compost pile, and planting your own veggies & herbs. Cancel magazine or newsletter subscriptions if you can read them online or if you don't read them at all... Cut down on junk mail by asking to be taken off their mailing lists and stop using paper products when non-paper is available.
    There are LOTS of little things that can make a big difference.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• And I also recommend joining a few of the local groups here such as:
    Green Organic Nature Simple Living
    Homemaking, Homesteading & Homeschooling
    &
    Frugalistas

And if you aren't the best at gardening, repurposing and such you can find LOTS of info from a magazine called Mother Earth News, their website is at: www.motherearthnews.com and some libraries have issues you can take out for free.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• you can find some tips on how to save on your bills here http://thisizamomzworld.blogspot.com/2010_11_14_archive.html

405mom

Answer by 405mom at 6:02 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• We do all sorts of thing but on a tight budget as well. A few are we joined the local Freecycle organization and when we are done we post and give away and find lots of toys,clothing ect free in return. We use house hold products to make toys and such, Today we used collection of grape and strawberry plastic containers to start our seeds in for the vegtable garden we grow in the spring( the containers make excellent greenhouses)) We use cardboard from cereal and cracker boxes for art projects instead of buying alot of cardstock ect. we use coupons to buy big items. We try and plan our field trips and grocery trip around the same times and days so that we arn not running extra gas and car usage. These are just a few things as we do tons more. We make cleaning products and such as well, only wash clothes in cold water unless really dirty and never use paper products such as ppaer plates ect. Good luck.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 6:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Make your own laundry soap
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 9:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2011