Why are some/most men obsessed with having the best of everything?

My husband makes me want to slap him sometimes! He has been trying to talk me into buying one of those nice new brand new HD internet TVs for the living room. He says the TVs that we have are outdated.. are you serious?!? We have a 42in HDTV that we bought 10 months ago in our living room, NO ISSUES. A 32in HDTV wall mounted in our bedroom that we got about 2 years ago (NO ISSUES!). I have been telling him NO for about 2 months now. Today he sends me a text with a picture of a new TV and says "Look at this one, only $698.. thats a really good price!" I wrote back and said "Yea.. I'm sure it is a good price.. FOR SOMEONE WHO IS LOOKING FOR A NEW TV.. BUT WE ARE NOT" And it isn't even this one incident, it's everything!! He is like this with cell phones, computers, vehicles, ect.. hell I am surprised he hasnt tried to trade me in for a new wife yet on top of that LOL I think that somehow his mother instilled it in his head that you show what kind of person you are and how well off you are by the things that you buy and own. Really makes no sense to me either since neither of us are rich people and his mom would have NOTHING had she not put up with years of abuse from a man just for his money. Is anyone else's husband this way?? Buy something very nice and they are loving it f0r about a year and then decide it's time for something better and flashier.

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 6:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Shopping

• How is your debt? My sister in law had this problem she has now had her house fore-closed on and had to ask her father to take out a loan for her at the age of 48.. So I am not like this but I know some one who has lived their whole life this way trying to feed her insecurities through purchases.
    It is time to do the work now, grow up get the therapy and learn the lessons before you live your whole life with nothing but things to show for it. Let me tell you that one thing will never suffice, the new next best thing won't ever be good enough.
    You need to wake him up and shake some sense into him.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I don't think that trait has anything to do with gender. My mother is the exact same way.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Thankfully my hubby is as thrifty as me. Some men are just like some ladies in liking the best and most expensive gadgets and clothes. I would point out to him that there is not only nothing wrong with the TV's you have in the house already but it's silly to spend an extra $700 on something unnecessary and live beyond your means. If I had $700 to blow on a tv i'd put it to better use such as pay off a bill sooner!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:10 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• LOL I think it has to do with monkey see someone else with it monkey want it too. I swear my fiance is constantly asking when we go to someones house "How big is that TV" because he wants a new big screen. Last week he went to sears and said he found a 55" for $1400 I told him hell naw you can get a 55" at walmart for half that price. We are not getting a new one yet but when we do we for damn sure will pay the little extra to make sure we get an extended waranty!
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 6:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My husband is thrifty. We have nice things though.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My dh is like this with cell phones. We both got our Blackberrys (which I love mine) right about the time the Droid came out. After the Droid came out, some guys he works with had one and he HAD to have it. I've fought him off, but my contract is up in Feb so I'm sure we'll be getting the Droids! I don't get it, my parents drove cars until they died (my car has close to 300,000 miles on it lol). my Blackberry is working just fine!! I don't want anything new until I NEED it!!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2011