Do people get upset even if your covered while breast feeding ?

okay well i am going to be a first time mommy soon and this culture is really making breast feeding your baby a awkward thing to do =(
i am more then ready to breast feed my baby when she is born.. but there is so much woman getting kicked out of stores or getting dirty looks or complainers over breast feeding there babies in public ..... when i read these articles on stuff like this i realize they never say if the woman were using a cover or any sort of cover up...i bought a cover from uttercovers.com witch i love so much and i am so ready to breast feed and nourish my little girl....."will people still be repulsed by me even if i am covered completely"?...i think breast feeding is a beautiful thing i have never mind seeing woman breast feeding there babies in public and the weird thing is im actually excited about public feeding which i find weird but iv thought of the reasons i might feel like this and i have summed it up to i want breast feeding to make a strong come back im tired of receiving formula all the time in the mail and getting "goodie bags" with a huge tub of formula it really sucks cant they make some changes !

katally77

Asked by katally77 at 6:09 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dunno, I honestly don't ever see a reason to "cover" when I'm not doing anything wrong. If someone has an issue, they can go somewhere else. But to be honest, the only person who ever had an issue with my nursing in public was my mother.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I nursed all 4 of my kids... NEVER did anyone get upset at my discreet nursing.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• i find that my mother in law seems to give me a disgusted look every time iv mentioned breast feeding i dont mind her disagreeing with me as long as the line is drawn there and she is not giving my baby formula in a bottle behind my back that is my worst fear hopefully it wont become a reality...im going to give it a shot on breastfeeding with out my cover one day when i get more comfortable with positioning and stuff like that i will give it a try the cover is mainly because i dont really want people to see my boobies LOL but ill give it a try =)
    katally77

Comment by katally77 (original poster) at 6:15 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Honestly, being covered or not has nothing to do with it. People will actually respond the same, and to be perfectly honest, covers attract MORE attention than nursing discreetly without one. I never used one, I refused to, and I do not believe that ANYONE should. Breasts are no more sexual than feet, but its not illegal to go barefoot. Breasts are for feeding babies, and if someone doesn't like it, they can look the other way.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:15 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I got funny looks, but no one ever got mad, but I always covered up. I tihnk I had more people admiring my cover than worrying about me breastfeeding. I have to say I thought it rude to see a woman nursing not covered. One lady was sitting on a bench as you walk into Walmart, shirt all pulled up, belly and boobie hanging out and baby nursing. I'm sorry but they will let you use their dressing rooms or you can use a blanket to cover. I don't want to see someone elses boob
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 6:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• i liked your response a lot obbydobbie im getting a lot of confidence through this i appreciate all of ur answers thanks alot
    katally77

Comment by katally77 (original poster) at 6:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Initially with my first things were a little difficult getting him latched so in public I used a cover until I got him latched and my head was under it too, but after he was latched I took it off. WIth my second I was an old pro. Rarely did you see more then my stomach when I didn't wear my nursing tanks. I simply lifted my shirt and latched baby on. Never did I get a negative comment, though I did get some looks. Once I had two older ladies walk up and tell me they were proud of me for doing it and many times I got that knowing nod and smile from other moms. Try nursing discreetly at home and once you get the hang of it then go for it in public too. I have a friend who was not discreet though and would literally lift her shirt with the child not ready and let it all hang out while she got the baby positioned etc. That IMO is a bit much, but to each his own.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:22 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Honestly, being covered or not has nothing to do with it. People will actually respond the same, and to be perfectly honest, covers attract MORE attention than nursing discreetly without one. ___________________________________________________________________________________

Totally NOT my experience.  I've got over 4 years of bf experience and the ONLY time I ever felt uncomfortable was when I was discreetly trying to do my thing around the corner on a bench and some bfing boob slinging toddler Mom came by and made a big deal that I was bfing and embarrassed the snot out of me.

Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 6:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Some people will have a problem whether you are covered or not. Lucky for you it is THEIR problem. Legally, you are allowed to nurse anywhere you are allowed to be, regardless of if you are covered or not. If someone asks you to leave, THEY could get in trouble. You just go ahead and do whatever YOU are comfortable with.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Personally for me I would cover. But that is because I am a very shy person and embarrass easily. That would also be my only problem with seeing an uncovered breast feeder as well. I find that the ones who get upset because their child is there that if they would just walk on by without making a fuss their kid wouldn't even realize what is going on. But I will get over my discomfort. You do your thing and don't let people make you feel bad for doing what nature intended.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 8:07 PM on Jan. 4, 2011