What makes a person an alcoholic?

What are the habits/criteria that someone would have to live up to to be considered an alcoholic?

bjojola

Asked by bjojola at 6:09 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Health

• Someone who is addicted to alcohol....they show withdrawl signs when sober for an extended period (such as getting the shakes around dinner time)
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• someone who wont admet that they are when they are downing drink everyday.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 6:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Someone who has 3+ HARD liquor drinks daily or the person you see buying several cases of beer per day.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 6:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• For me it means you "have" to have a drink to have a good time, function or relax.. If you "have" to drink daily or several times a day, I think that is an alcoholic.. Holding down a job or not has nothing to do with it as some believe.. I know many functioning drunks :(
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• no there is binge drinking as well and functioning alcoholics as well. You know they are an alcoholic when they need it to do everything or its starting to make a mess of their life outside of drinking.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• When alcohol controls their life and decisions, when they NEED a drink physically and emotionally rather than choosing to drink, when they are destroying their health, relationships, career, etc. by drinking, when their drinking results in accidents, falls, injuries, blackouts, and repeated "regretful" behavior.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I think there is a difference between a person that abuses alcohol and an acoholic. A person that abuses alcohol drink frequently and binge drinks. An alcoholic has tolerance and dependence on alcohol and has life consequences because of alcohol yet still drinks, like loss of job because of alcohol, legal problems because of alcohol, ect.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• i would say you are an alcoholic when drinking starts to effect your everyday life.
    momandytai

Answer by momandytai at 7:10 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I agree with most of what's been posted above but would add that alcoholics generally cannot stop at one drink. If they take one, they will normally have to continue drinking, sometimes just until tipsy, but sometimes til they are good and drunk. But most of the time, they can't have one drink and walk away like a "normal" person can.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:21 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My mother was an alcoholic. She drank from sun up to sun down and sometimes would not even sleep, she would just keep drinking. She perferred the hard liquor , but also drank beer. When she would have the withdrawls she would get violently sick. Vomiting, diahrrea, shaking. Then the drinking led her to have seizures. Eventually alcohol took my mothers life. To me that is what an alcoholic is.
    soon2bmmy

Answer by soon2bmmy at 7:39 PM on Jan. 4, 2011