Divorce Insurance--would you buy it?

I heard a story on NPR today, interviewing the man whose brainchild this is. Divorce insurance. Buy it for yourself, buy it as a wedding gift, pay premiums each month, and should the (oftentimes) inevitable occur, you will get a nice payout that could help with attorney fees.

Unfortunately, the story from NPR isn't available yet, since it did just air today, but here's a story about it that ran in Time Magazine in September.

I'm thinking that it's even less romantic than a pre-nup.  Can you imagine shopping for divorce insurance while picking out matching rings with your fiance?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 6:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm in the insurance business and I know for a fact this would sell, and probably sell very well... but I think its horrible that people would do this, its like well, if we don't work out... we always have this insurance. Easy way out.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 6:22 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I wouldn't buy it, but I do think it would be easier if states just made pre-nups part of the standard wedding license. Don't even call it a pre-nup, just make it a record of which assets (and more importantly, which DEBTS) each person brings to the relationship. That way people are protected without having to look like a jerk for suggesting one. Love and trust are great, but just because you love and trust someone, doesn't mean they aren't lying their ass off.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• That would basically be betting that you would get divorced, so no I wouldn't buy it. I want to stay married, not plan on getting divorced.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 6:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• No, I wouldn't buy it
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 6:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I wouldn't buy it. I can't imagine getting married thinking "well if it doesn't work out I'm insured". I consider marriage a lifetime commitment and insuring it would lesson the meaning of true love.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 6:32 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• No, I would never buy it. I've been married 13 years. If I had even the slightest bit of doubt that it wouldn't work out, I wouldn't have gotten married.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• You know, it sounds crazy, but I might consider it - especially if they had a reduction on premiums as the years progressed, and maybe a payout after 25 years or something. I don't look at it as thinking you are going to get divorced, I look at it as more the "business" side of marriage. I was married for 13 years prior, never even considered getting divorced when we started out. I asked for it when I couldn't be in the marriage anymore. I'm on year 6 of my current marriage and things are great - but you just never know. At least 1/2 (probably more) of my friends are on their second marriage or currently divorced. The divorce rate is a HUGE percentage, I just can't ignore that.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I would get it!
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Some would get divorced for the lump sum...

No, I wouldn't purchase it. But there are some people I'd like to gift it to..m
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• No - what another scam!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:24 PM on Jan. 4, 2011