potty training

when is a good time to start tryin to potty train your lil one

mommy033

Asked by mommy033 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is not age based.
    If you are willing to invest a lot of time, confine yourself to the house as much as possible, take your child to the potty on a strict schedule, you can start anytime.
    OR
    You can wait until your child indicates he is ready and then start.
    Both methods work and no matter which you choose, your child will be doing the whole process on his own at about the same age. That means that if you go with option 1, you may be doing most of the work for months and months and your child will be take over working his clothes and going to the potty when he needs to instead of on a schedule at about the same point in time as with option 2.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:42 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I agree with the previous poster. It is best to read your toddler's cues & start when he/she is ready, otherwise it could make the process even longer. I have a 21 month-old and I am expecting twins in April so of course I would LOVE to have my oldest out of diapers before having 2 more in diapers but I am not going to force the issue. Life altering events (birth of new child, a move, a divorce, a death) can all cause a toddler to regress.. so it would be bad to try to potty train during a time like that. I suggest having a little child potty in the bathroom and just letting your child see you/hubby use the bathroom. My son sometimes wants to come in and watch or sit on his potty at the same time. Once you start the potty training process it has to be a routine schedule to follow.

This site also has a lot of great advice for potty training: http://www.parents.com/toddlers/development/potty-training/

Good luck!
    luckymommy24

Answer by luckymommy24 at 3:30 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Your child will let you know when he/she is ready. They won't like being wet or dirty anymore. They will use words like pee-pee or poo-poo. They moght also be interested in watching you or other family members using the toilet. They might start by just wanting to flush, or just sit up there and get up and down over and over, but these are all signs that they are ready and willing to start becoming a big boy or girl. Once you start, keep at it consistently or your child might revert back to diapers.
    Kimx3babies

Answer by Kimx3babies at 3:44 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Yes, I agree with everybody else, when I was trying to potty train my little one, he would get scared because he didn't wanted to do it. If you force them because "other" kids have done it before you are going the wrong direction already. That's what happended to me. So, left him alone, and believe it or not one morning he woke up and said: "mommy, mommy I gotta go pee", that day I sure would not forget, and the process started right there and then. GOOD LUCK. Oh, by the way, he was already pass the 3 yrs.
    jcampos

Answer by jcampos at 3:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I really started with my first at 15 months. She was fully out of diapers by 18 months. Yep, that includes at night.

I introduced the toilet by 11 months, though.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 5:40 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• "If you are willing to invest a lot of time, confine yourself to the house as much as possible, take your child to the potty on a strict schedule, you can start anytime."

Hmmm.. I dont' necessarily agree with this... Most places a person frequents have toilets!
    My daughter never ever had accidents while we were out- and that's how I started her, taking her out in panties at 15 months old..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 5:42 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• liyoness - It can be more complicated. My LO HATES big potties. Only her potty. I think big ones are cold. lol. Now that I know her schedule, we will go out in panties and return home before she will need to go again.

I like kaycee answers. We started at 15months. It was difficult (still is) but so worth it!!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 6:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My eldest hated them, too, at first.. The toilet can be a scary thing.. But with a seat of her own (rather than me holding her over the toilet), she felt much better..
    I don't think she ever had a schedule, but then again, she can hold her pee for insane amounts of time..

Even starting at 15 months, I didnt' find it a grueling process.. Just a matter of learning the pee dance.

And I given that she was out of diapers fully and completely at 18 months, as opposed to beginning at 2 1/2, I don't see how it would take "longer".. She was out of them over a year ago! I honestly couldn't imagine having to change diapers for her at this age..

Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 9:38 PM on Nov. 11, 2008