• In the Spotlight:

why

Why is it that when you make butter you start with ultra pure white cream andfend with yellow butter and yellow buttermilk?

mtnaspen

Asked by mtnaspen at 6:30 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Food & Drink

• You make butter?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I maybe totally wrong but I think it's colored to have the "golden" look.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 6:38 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Unsalted butter is not coloured, but salted butter is --mostly because it is made (commercially) out of cream that is going bad, and as it ages it yellows. If they didn't dye it, it would look blotchy and gross. They also salt it to remove the 'off' flavour.

Fresh cream butter (unsalted or homemade) is much, much lighter --but the reason it's yellow is because milk is yellow. When there's a lot of water in it, and it's homogenized, it looks whiter than it is.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• You got me, but sounds like LindaClement had a pretty good ans.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 7:14 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I have made butter from cream, and it has not turned colors.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:04 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My butter turns gold but the leftover buttermilk is kinda bluish white, Not sure why
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 11:44 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• When I make my own - my cream is not pure white to start, it's a creamy color. My butter ends up the same color the cream started, and the buttermilk has more of a bluish tint, kind of like skim milk, they have no fat in them anymore so they don't have that creamy color. The butter I buy is a creamy color too, not yellow (and it's salted!), so I say check the ingredient label on yours and make sure they're not adding artificial dyes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jan. 5, 2011