Are there any ancient statues of Jesus?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 6:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, not to my knowledge.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• No, I don't think so.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 6:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Hm that's a good question. I've never heard of any. Now you have me curious, I'm going to have to look this up!
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Not to my knowledge. It is highly unlikely that there would be since Jesus was considered by the religious and political elite of the time to be a blasphemer and "troublemaker."

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 6:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I'm not aware of any. I believe that during his time he was only followed by a small group (not enough people or of the right class to erect a statue), it was actually very much later that he was revered as the son of God.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• The earliest known "Statues" appear on teh marble tomb of Junius Bassus who died in 359.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I'm not aware of any statues from (or just after) his time period. The earliest depictions of him were actually symbols. I think we started to see personified images of him around the 2nd century AD/CE, and then he was depicted with a beard around the 4th century AD/CE (there may be a couple depictions from the 3rd century with a beard too, but I'm not positive).
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• None that I'm aware of.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:06 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Only on crucifixes and those seldom show any consistency as to how he looked. I've seen brown-skinned, black-haired Jesus's. I've seen him depicted with brown hair and blue eyes, or blonde hair and blue eyes. Or red-skinned with tentacles--oh, sorry, that's the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Who CREATED Jesus in the first place, according to his gospel. And he created Yahweh, too!! (JOKE!!!!!!)
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 7:04 PM on Jan. 5, 2011