Potty training with a private 2 year old.

Dd is 24 months and went #2 on the potty today for the first time (so proud!). Anyway, I think it was because I let her sit by herself and she likes privacy. So when she was finished I went in and gave her lots of praise but she looked totally freaked out. Now I'm afraid she won't want to do it again. I gave her a lolipop as another praise but I dunno....
Any tips on what I should do now? Does anyone else her a kid that seemed freaked out? This has never happened when she peed on the potty.

Namaste17

Asked by Namaste17 at 6:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think skip the praise. Treat it as normal and it will be normal. I was told that praise freaks them out too, even though I know that is the typical thing to do. Because praising like crazy makes it seem like there is something weird going on, you know? Just having the potty around and wiping her and dumping it as unceremoniously as when you fix her meals and she eats will mean it is totally normal and part of life.

Not meaning to offend, readers, if praise worked for you, but especially since this is OP's daughter's cue, I say, skip the praise (and any scolding for misses) and treat it as normal. Keep offering potty opportunities, keep the potty around, and let her do it herself as much as possible (no pants at home if possible until she pulls them up, or easy pants and work on pulling them up and down).
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2011