What do you think of Substituting benadryl for a tylenol PM?

I have been having a terrible time sleeping.....I'm just over 38 weeks pregnant and my doctor told me that I could take Tylenol PM to help me sleep. All that Tylenol PM is, is Benadryl and Tylenol mixed together. Do you think that it would be bad for me just to take one dose of Benadryl instead of taking the Tylenol PM? Let me know, Thanks :)

nat1387

Asked by nat1387 at 6:50 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• No, that is fine
    I would say it's even better as you are not taking the tylenol, just the Benedryl.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Tylenol PM's ingredients are acetaminophen and diphenhydramine HCL. The ingrediants in Benadryl is diphenhydramine HCL.... so the only difference is that benadryl is missing the pain relief ingrediant acetaminophen. Both are safe to take during pregnancy
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 6:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• You should probably check with your OB first, but I know that my doc said Benedryl was ok to take when I was pregnant.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• yes you can! you are right they both have the same active ingredient but the tylenol has a pain reliever as well. If you don't need a pain reliever there is no need to take it :) tylenol makes a sleeping aid called simply sleep...same thing as benedryl as well.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Yes, it's safe. I've been on Benedryl my whole pregnancy because I keep breaking out.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 7:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My midwives said Tylenol PM was safe in both of my pregnancies
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I would ask your doctor. Just to be sure.
    sissy0604

Answer by sissy0604 at 1:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2011