When do you think moving in with a bf, with kids is acceptable?

My BF and I have been going out for 6 months now. We have been talking about me and my kids moving in with him. (He lives a hour away). When do you think this is acceptable (social standards- and no we are not gonna wait for marriage).

MamaWolf1981

Asked by MamaWolf1981 at 7:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• Tommorow is not promised today so listen to noone but you.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 7:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• When you get married. Sorry, but six months doesn't seem long enough. Since you have kids I think you need to be especially careful to protect them from heartache. I don't think in six moths you can know enough about another person to move in with them. If you had no kids I would say do whatever you like, but with kids...they are the first priority. How would they feel if you broke up and they had to move out?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:04 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• 6 months is way too soon. I think if you are going to move in together, if not until marriage, then you need to know each other a bit more than 6 months of dating, especially with kids involved.

I'd almost say depending on kids ages wait til their 18, if they are preteen/teens cause it's not fair for you to just expect them to change their life cause you've been dating a guy for 6mos, not really a good example IMO. If you have younger kids your kids need to be completely 100% comfortable around him for extended periods of times. If not it will caused a divide and trust me, your kids will resent you later.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:04 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Call me old fashioned, but 6 mos is too soon to move in, esp. when children are involved. How long have you known him? How is he with the kids? Do you have a back-up/escape plan if it falls apart? I really think you need to wait. Just imagine if one of your kids came to you w/ this same question- what would tell them to do?
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• If he is truly ok with you moving in with your children then yes..why not?
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 7:02 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Never, definitely not after only 6 months!

Answer by missanc at 7:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I say when you have an engagement ring on your finger and have the wedding date set!! Otherwise, it's too soon ESPECIALLY because there are children involved!! If you were both single and childless, it wouldn't matter much, but think about what you're teaching your children.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:20 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• When you are comfortable that you are in a committed relationship - I don't think there's a time frame (except for judgmental jerks from whom you don't want their opinion anyway.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:02 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• As long as you love and trust each other, make sure the kids are comfortable with him and this arrangement. Some people might tell you it's too soon, but in the end you do what's best for you and your kids.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Do what you feel is right for you & your children F*** what society says is right or wrong who are they to judge anyone go ahead & make the move after all if he wasnt ready why would he have even asked you tommorow is never promised so live for today :-) GL
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 7:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2011