Should 2 people who are on disability plan having kids?

Lets say both of the are on disability before any kids. Both are on every single state assistance program. Obviously is will be hard to raise kids on that little money. So should they plan a family?
They cannot work, its a permanent disability. They have no outside help from family. Both are physical disabilties. The woman's pregnancies will put strain on her due to her disability
I'm not judging just something I saw on TV today and wanted to get others point of views.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 7:09 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• In that case, NO. I think planning kids would be irresponsible if both people were in a situation where they would NEVER work, and always rely on state assistance.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• That's a touchy subject. There shouldn't be a monetary requirement to be a good parent. You've heard the saying, if we waited until we could afford kids, we would've never had them. Well, how can poor people be denied the basic human desire & instinct to have their own children? What about rich people who can afford them, but also leave them with nannies all the time. Or who try to buy their love & raise spoiled brats who feel entitled to everything. I dont think $ makes a good parent. Love, devotion & involvement in your child's life makes a good parent.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Why are they on disability? Are they completely unable to work or is it a short term thing? Are they physically and mentally able to raise a child themselves? That is a pretty loaded question.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 7:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• As long as the parents are in sound mind I see no issue with them having children. They obviously can't work for whatever reason so it isn't their fault... As long as the children will not come to any harm physically or mentally I see no problem with it.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 7:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• How could 2 people be so disabled that they are both unable to ever work again, yet think they are both perfectly able to birth and parent kids? Parenting is work and requires some physical abilities and strengths. Unless you're paying someone to do all the work involved, how could you even think you could physically parent if you're truly that disabled and fragile? Seems awfully selfish to me-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I think if they are able to care for and love their children, then yes it would be fine. They are already receiving assistance and that is not going to change regardless of if they have children or not. I don't think they are the people that we have to worry about taking advantage of the system- it's the ones who could provide more for their families but choose not to.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 8:50 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I think it depends, if they truely can't work and it is not their choice, I think it would be unfair to never experience being a parent or a grandparent..it would be sad. However if they are the type making sure they can't get back to work and being lazy and collecting government money, than they too lazy to parent and don't really deserve it..I hope u understand what I saying..
    proudestmomma02

Answer by proudestmomma02 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• What would make 2 people too disabled to work at any job, yet possess both the physical and mental capabilities to parent children?

I just can not picture this possibility..can not do ANY kind of work, yet CAN parent kids-think about infants and toddlers-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:04 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I do not care what other people do in their lives.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• But.... having a child - because you are on CM i ASSume you have one... you know the great joy that comes with a child. how can you on a humane level say that you have the right to deny them. who says they wouldnt find resources to overcome the obsticals. i know this woman - head of human resources at dh's job - she was told by many doc to never have kids - she didnt have a spleen or some organ that would make it terribly dangerous for her.. she did it anyways and has a healthy 10 yr old and it didnt hurt her. some people are just born disabled, it isnt their fault, and some individuals refuse to let that limit them. so no... while i am willing to say... a herione addict should Not plan to have kids =- i just cant do the same for people who are disabled. but for their kids sake - they better be those give 100% all the time type of people....
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:04 PM on Jan. 4, 2011