I have to feed 3 adults and a toddler for $100 a week for at least 3 weeks......................

Can it be done? What are your best tips for shopping on a budget?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Shopping

• yes, try to cut back on meat, meat is a budget killer. To stay healthy buy as much fresh veggies as possible. Try pasta dishes/whole wheat pasta dishes. If you do buy meat make it into lasting meals. So say you buy chicken, on sale, make a bunch of shredded chicken and store in fridge. You can make burritos, tacos, salad, sandwiches, etc. Same for beef.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Easily. So that is $300 for three weeks?

Look for what meat is on sale this week. The sales change tomorrow, so there will be something else on sale next week. Then plan your menu with what meat you can buy on sale.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Shop somewhere cheap like Aldis Go to coupon sites that helps Buy food you can stretch for 2 to 3 days Its hard to stretch that amount of money but there are ways Goodluck!
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 7:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• oh- I once fed a family of 4 for 250 bucks for a month plus what I already had in house.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 7:21 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I feed 2 adults, 4 kids and most of the time company for 426 a month, it's not to hard just shop on sale and just things that can be combined well. Things like casseroles and soups like chowders that stretch are great and never underestimate the power of left overs! They can be made into just about anything.
    Sariah747

Answer by Sariah747 at 7:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• price shop, plan menus, there are many ways to make food stretch. Most towns have food banks....use them.
    kaedrasgma

Answer by kaedrasgma at 7:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Some of the things I do to keep to our food budget are... I will buy two whole chickens, then I will bake them both at one time. I will serve one chicken and shred the meat from the other one and add any of the meat that is left on the first one. Then I will make several meals from the shredded chicken. I will make a pot pie, chicken noodle soup, black bean quesadillas and homemade chicken pizza. None of those things takes a lot of meat and they are all filling. And whole chickens are cheap, usually less than a dollar a pound.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• http://jmarwillb.mycookingblog.com
    I have a friend here that writes a Frugal cooking blog- she has GREAT Ides for you. She is here on cafemom and she feeds her family well for less. Less meat, buy on sale and cook some things from scratch.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 7:20 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Think about meals where meat is a PART of the meal, but not a large part - like meatloaf or salmon patties, where you take meat and mix it with bread crumbs to make it go further; or casseroles where you mix meat with rice or pasta. You can buy a whole chicken for relatively little money and make several meals out of it. My cheapest meals - breakfast (grits, eggs, biscuits, fruit) and spaghetti w/ marinara sauce.

Answer by missanc at 7:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• i wish i could give another answer but everything i know is already here but i do know you can do it just clip and save i saw on the tlc channel people were getting a thousand dollars worth of groceries and paying only like 6 bucks
    BGBsmom

Answer by BGBsmom at 7:37 PM on Jan. 4, 2011