For those US moms out there - what's the health service like over there?

I ask because over here the National Health System is notoriously bad, then again it is free... I think (although not completely sure) that people pay for their medical care in the USA. If I'm sounding totally ignorant you have my complete permission to come to England and behead me for the record...

Anyway I ask because my youngest sister is going to be studying there for 4 years - so I was wondering what the price of medical care is. Do you have to buy medicine? For example insulin etc? Also how quick are they are dealing with medical things? For example if you needed an operation etc. I'm guessing it varies from state to state and area to area but I'm just asking. I thought CM was the best place to come to for some US Moms!

Sorry again if I sound completely ignorant!

leah_rai

Asked by leah_rai at 7:22 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Health

• SHITY
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:24 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• private insurance would be high gov insurance varies by state where will she be going
    MyOpionCounts

Answer by MyOpionCounts at 7:25 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Mommy_of_two took the word right out of my mouth.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:25 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• You have to buy everything. I like my health care, I have Kaiser, they have a program for 4-year University students, which makes it more affordable. They also have a dental plan. There is more assistance for FT students who are citizens, but since she won't be she is looking at a private health care plan.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Our insurance system is a mess.

It's very different from Universal/National health care. It is often tied to your parents (if you are a child or student to a certain age.) It is not always easy to just buy health insurance here. It is mostly tied to one's job or spouse's job. You can buy it independently but the cost is often outrageous, and the companies can reject you for pre-existing conditions like my asthma or ds2's epilepsy.

As a student she might be able to obtain it through her college/university. It will depend on the school. It is something she should check into when looking at various schools.

balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Unless you're low income or a gov't employee, you have to have private insurance. Some colleges have their own insurance and as a student, most colleges charge a mandatory health center fee. She should be able to do to the health center for anything other than emergency services. If you don't have insurance, pray you never have to go to the ER, because you'll be in debt for a VERY long time. (It cost almost $2,000 for my son to have 14 stitches in his chin.)

The cost of private insurance is based on your health, age, gender, etc. Different policies have different rates and different coverage. Copayments may vary on things like dr's visits and medications.

Basically it's a big nasty patchwork that no one HERE understands, including the doctors.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:30 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• for me its not perfect but they kept my son from dying of cancer so they are ok in my book.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• You don't sound ignorant at all! I think she will have to purchase private insurance once she gets here...but it is extremely pricey. I lived with an exchange student in college (and was one myself in England) and my roommate paid so much money every time she was sick in order to visit a doctor. But, she decided to just pay for it out of pocket rather than purchasing the insurance b/c it was so much. Now, if something bad would have happened to her and she would have needed to spend even one night in the hospital then the insurance would have been well worth it. She can purchase different sort of plans...they have cheaper ones but they get you less coverage. I think it's a good thing that she's thinking about this ahead of time. Best wishes!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• If she is young and in good health she can get insurance at a good price. If she is not in good health she will have to pay more because the insurance will have to pay more out on her. Our healthcare system is good, I have no complaints. Most colleges have a health center for basic things and if she has to go to the ER she can get the hospital to cover the bill since I assume she will not be making a ton of money going to school.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:22 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• i have medicaid, and it is supposed to pay for everything for all my prenatal visits....i had her 5 weeks ago and i have 9 months of bills in my desk drawer......so, shitty is the word!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 10:38 AM on Jan. 5, 2011