Would you pay a college bill?

I paid for both of my children's college educations, ten years each.  My ds got a bill from the college here at my house last October.  I called him about it, he said he would take care of it.  When he came home for the holidays, he opened another letter, saying the bill had been turned over to a collection agency.  I am bound to pay 1/2 of their his education, and I have paid 100% until this bill.  I am walking around without the heat on to cover my own bills, now my son wants me to pay this bill too.  He makes a damn good salary so I say he should pay it.  My ds is saying he will contact his dad's attorney if I don't pay the bill.  My attorney passed away in December, so I have to get a new attorney.  What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• If it's in his name there is nothing he can do but pay it himself. I'm sorry he is acting so ungrateful.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 7:50 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• and what does he think his attorney is going to do for him exactly? the bill is in your son's name correct? He is acting like a child and I wouldn't pay it personaly
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 7:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I don't understand how him having an attorney is going to make you responsible for the bill. It's in his name, and you were only paying for his schooling out of the goodness of your heart, not a contract to pay or anything. If the debt is something he acquired after he turned 18, he's legally responsible to pay for it. Don't do anything, you're not obligated to. You sound like a wonderful mother, and your son is being an ungrateful ass expecting that of you.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 8:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• If the bill is not in your name you are under no obligation to pay it.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:55 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• What would make them think you have to pay this? I am confused. How old is your son? How much is the bill? I would say you raised a JERK.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My parents didn't pay for my college in the least...I've been working on paying that bill for the past 7 years and only 13 more to go! My kids will be in college and I'll still be paying off mine...LOL! He needs to pay his own bill.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• You are bound to pay for 1/2 his education.....that's tuition. I'd be willing to bet it doesn't say anything about misc. expenses. The bill is in HIS name. Stand your ground.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• And this is why I don't believe in paying for your children after they graduate from high school...they feel entitled. We didn't pay for any of our sons college educations, it was all up to them and they all did it.
    Anonymous

• If the bill is in his name I would hold him responsible for paying it.
    wonderwhatsnext

Answer by wonderwhatsnext at 10:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• He needs to pay his own bill. My parents didn't pay for me to go to college.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 12:21 AM on Jan. 5, 2011